VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu, Ssdi, & Federal Disability Retirement

Rate this question

MPsgt

Question

I was approved for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) & Federal Disability Retirement (FDR) under the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). I could no-longer work & I had filed for IU before I was approved for both SSDI & FDR. I was denied IU but, with time & help from my wife. I appealed their decision by filing a Notice of Disagreement (NOD). I suffer from severe PTSD 70% and a couple other disabilities that total 80%. After I was award SSDI I submitted the award letter for consideration to my local VA office in Louisville, KY. According, to eBenefits a decision is still waiting to be made on my appeal for IU. I was just recently approved for FDR too. My question is, Should I submit a copy of my FDR approval to the VA office making the decision on my IU? Could the submission of my FDR approval letter just prolong a pending decision? I've already been waiting 8 months for a favorable decision. I appreciate any and all knowledgable responses.

FYI....I was scheduled for a Travel Board Hearing. Ironically, 09-11-2013 at the VARO out of Louisville, KY. My Veteran Service Officer from The American Legion was present. So was my wife, after I signed a wavier allowing her to be present. The only person on this "Traveling Board" was a woman. I'm assuming she was a Veteran Law Judge. If I'm wrong, Carlie please correct me. She asked if I waived my right for the VARO to make the decision. My Veteran Service Officer said that we would waive the VARO decision. My wife and I both took an oath. The VSO pretty much laid everything out on the table. She asked my wife a couple of questions regarding my behavior/character before and after military service. She only asked me for the date. That I officially stopped working due to the severity of my disability. It too, ironically went back to 09-14-2011. She asked if we had anything else to say. No was the answer. This was the end of the interview. We left and the VSO made the remark. About the interview going very well. She did state that I would receive a mailing or e-mailing indicating my docket #. The VSO said a decision should be rendered in a couple of months. I will keep all posted about the results.

IAW the Appeal process its been about 28 months since requesting TDIU. The following are details regarding my appeal according to ebenefits:

11/30/2011 Local VA Office Decision RO

12/21/2011 Notice of Disagreement (NOD) RO

01/24/2012 Appeal Pending RO

06/08/2012 Decision & Claims File Dispatch BVA

03/06/2013 Appeal Pending RO

05/28/2013 Statement of the Case (SOC) RO

06/04/2013 Substantive Appeal (Form 9) RO

07/23/2013 Certification of Appeal RO

09/24/2013 Received by BVA BVA

09/24/2013 Administrative Case Processing BVA

I never received a docket number. Not that it matters until a decision is rendered. I'm guessing at least another 20 months of waiting for a decision to be rendered by BVA. I'm just posting this info as a "general timeline" to those experiencing the wait.

Regards

Edited by MPsgt

This is asinine and should have been able to correct just by making the VA aware of your SSDI award and your FDR. Something just doesn't smell right?

Are you SC disabilities what you were awarded SSDI and FDR for??

That is the only thing I can see that would explain why they are standing their ground on awarding you?

Stillhere

Yes, 70% PTSD was the only one of my SC disabilities. For which I was awarded SSDI & FDR. It was the only SC disability expressed for TDIU too. I had resigned from my position with the Post Office. After, they were unwilling to place me into another position. Due to the severity of my condition. The PO didn't even explain Federal Disability Retirement. They were going to let me leave free and clear. However, my wife found out about FDR. I was approved for SSDI in four months and FDR was finalized in about seven. I'll sum it up...STONEWALLING.