VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dental P&t Or Not

Rate this question

cooter

Question

I been hearing so much ado about being eligible for dental care while being 100% P&T or just 100% no P&T. Can somebody here give me the actual truth as I am 100% IU in need of serious dental work.

Coot

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Congrats on the win, Coot, and yes, you now have dental care.

pr

I been hearing so much ado about being eligible for dental care while being 100% P&T or just 100% no P&T. Can somebody here give me the actual truth as I am 100% IU in need of serious dental work.

Coot

Thank you PR! Well I thought so too, but when I called to make an appointment this morning, they said I had to be P&T. Yes I know, don't believe what they say. So how do I handle this?

Coot

Call the eligibility section of the VAMC you use and tell them you're TDIU and want to get dental care. They'll notify dental and dental will get you an apponitment for exam and xray and cleaning. Be prepared to wait some months though, unless you have an emergency. The dental is nice-I've had crowns made, and currently replacing an aging bridge. Some controversy and confusion if the Va does implants-my VA-Spokane will not.

Thanks JON. I will try that. One other thing. I live 120 miles to the closest VAMC which is Phx. Az. Would that be enough to get Fee Basis where I live at?

Coot

If you are already enrolled in a VAMC, you can contact the dental clinic and make

an appointment directly with them as they have access to your 100% ir IU info.

You do not need to go thru any other channels or a PCP.

Ask for a new patient dental appointment, I believe you are supposed to be scheduled

an appointment within 14-30 days, but they might might be swamped already.

If you are truly in pain you can do a walk in as they are supposed to have a way to

provide care on an emergency (urgent) basis.

If your VAMC dental department has openings I don't think you will

get any help from fee basis.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1712 )

(g) Class III. Those having a dental condition professionally determined to be aggravating disability from an associated service-connected condition or disability may be authorized dental treatment for only those dental conditions which, in sound professional judgment, are having a direct and material detrimental effect upon the associated basic condition or disability.

(h) Class IV.Those whose service-connected disabilities are rated at 100% by schedular evaluation or who are entitled to the 100% rate by reason of individual unemployability may be authorized any needed dental treatment.

Also:

http://www.va.gov/he...ications/IB-10-

"If you:

Have a service-connected compensable dental disability or

condition. You are eligible for: Any needed dental care. Through Class I

If you: Are a former prisoner of war. Any needed dental care. Through - Class IIC

If you:

Have service-connected disabilities rated 100% disabling,

or are unemployable and paid at the 100% rate due to service connected conditions.

You are eligible for: Any needed dental care. [Please note: Veterans paid at the 100% rate

based on a temporary rating, such as extended hospitalization for a service connected disability, convalescence or pre-stabilization are not eligible for comprehensive outpatient dental services

based on this temporary rating]. Through - Class IV

If you:

Apply for dental care within 180 days of discharge or release

(under conditions other than dishonorable) from a period of

active duty of 90 days or more during the Persian Gulf War era.

You are eligible for:

One-time dental care if your DD214 certificate of discharge does not indicate

that a complete dental examination and all appropriate dental treatment had been

rendered prior to discharge.Through - *Class II."

I had to have some work done right away and got in the next day. I went to dental and a sign sad to make appointments at eligible for dental care. I went there and they looked me up, asked if I was hurting, I sad I lost a filling, got in the next day.

I was called back in two weeks for my teeth cleaning.

Edited by Gulfvet45