If The Va Dr Gives A New Axis Ii Disorder Can It Afect A Disability Claim?

I am getting worried about my visit to my VA psychiatrist today. I asked her what my exact diagnosis is. She said that I had major depressive disorder and she thought that I had a personality disorder. She didn't get specific about the pd.

I know about the depression. I was diagnosed with it while I was in the military and currently have a 30% rating. I was never diagnosed with a personality disorder when I was active duty. I was a Petty Officer First class when I got out with an honorable discharge.

I have been having a hard time in finding and keeping a job. I have a lot of anxiety with my depression and it makes it hard to keep a job when I have panic attacks.

Recently I have been feeling the stress of not working and my anxiety got so bad that I started having suicidal thought and was admitted to a psych floor at the VA hospital.

Now they are saying because I cut myself that I have a personality disorder....but I am 43 years old and never had any violence or drug use. I am more of a recluse. I don't understand it.

What is worrisom is a personality disorder is not compensateable but depression is. I have made the depression connection with my millitary servie. Can this new diagnosis hurt me?

I have tried very hard to get a decent job. I have a college degree, but I have a lot of trouble with my coping skills. This makes it extreemly hard to find a job.

Would the VA delibertly give some one that diagnosis to keep them from getting a fair compensation? I know that I have issues, but it is depression and anxiety causeing them and my depression started while I was active duty.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

To answer your question, yes, the VA would give you a diagnosis to avoid paying you. They and the military have done it for yrs. You want to avoid getting a personality disorder diagnosis, at all costs. You might want to find a copy of the DSM-IV or DSM-IV revised and review the various diagnoses, trying to label yours. You don't need to have had something horrible to have happened to you to have something like PTSD or some type of an adjustment disorder. The goal is to trace it to your military service.

Should they try to reduce you depressive disorder, you need to request a hearing immediately. If you can't work or are having that much trouble working, due to your depression, file a claim for TDIU. Also consider other diagnoses. I am not familiar w/the many diagnoses, so don't be offended by my suggestion(s).

Here's a link that may help ya: http://www.behavenet.com/apa-diagnostic-classification-dsm-iv-tr#301

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder

These PD DX'es tend to stick to your record like glue. As long as your Axis I is a accepted medical mental condition you can continue to get you money even if the VA decides you have the same personality disorder as Charles Manson. I have a PD Dx in my record that has changed as often as my Axis I DX. It is just name calling in my book. I don't know how you get rid of it. You can have medical mental disorder superimposed on a PD and still get paid. The VA or military can interpret your conduct or statements to justify a PD just as easy as PTSD. They can hang you with one sentence. If you use drugs to self-medicate a depression you can be a drug addict (PD) or PTSD victim who is self-medicating. In jungle boot army any drug user was a PD and apt to get BCD even if you had been in combat for a year. They were doing drug tests in 1970 and discharging those who failed with BCD's right out of Vietnam. Can you imagine your army lawyer recommending you taking the BCD rather than fighting it.

John

"she thought that I had a personality disorder. She didn't get specific about the pd." what she 'thought' is mere speculation at this point. But

Philip and John are 100% right.

You should consider the TDIU claim Philip mentioned. We have lots of TDIU info here as well as the 21-8940 form and apply for SSDI as well.

She used the words "We're thinking that you have some personality disorder" It is not exact but she did say something similar to that effect. She didn't elaborate on it. I don't know why I obsess about it. Guess that is one of my problems.

I do have Axis I as MDD sever, recurrent and anxiety.

I have not tried to hurt my self except the one time and I was thinking suicidal thought at that time...not now...I just have vague thoughts. I don't have a plan. She said that I became worse after leaving the psych floor. That is when all the PD stuff poped up. I think that I was just very depressed and anxious.

I just don't want to have my rating lowered because of it.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have depression and anxiety that almost rules out a PD. People with real PD's don't have anxiety or depression about their conditions. They think they are normal and the world is crazy. I heard about one anti-social PD who was outraged because when he kidnapped some guys wife the guy came after him with a gun and there was a shoot out in which the husband was killed. The PD could not understand the stupidity and gall of the husband wanting his wife back.

John