VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused On Claim

Rate this question

mike316atl

Question

Hi everyone! I am currently receiving 30% compensation. I was medically discharged from the Army in 2006 because of a unknown digestive disorder. Last year, I was admitted to the VA hospital in Atlanta for about 1 week and I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I went back through many of my medical records from the military and I found some evidence. One exam stated that "SM possibly has Crohn's disease". I filed a claim with the VA last July. I received a copy of the C&P exam and the opinion by the doc was not good. He stated that "it is LESS than likely that the diagnoses of crohn's is due to service". "Even though SM had similar symptoms in the military that he is currently having, it overburdens the logic of cause and effect that inservice event is related to Crohn's". Here's the confusing part, even though the doc stated his opinion, the RO is still requesting VA medication lists and evidence from the medical center.

Should I get ready for an appeal? Thanks!

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi everyone! I am currently receiving 30% compensation. I was medically discharged from the Army in 2006 because of a unknown digestive disorder. Last year, I was admitted to the VA hospital in Atlanta for about 1 week and I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I went back through many of my medical records from the military and I found some evidence. One exam stated that "SM possibly has Crohn's disease". I filed a claim with the VA last July. I received a copy of the C&P exam and the opinion by the doc was not good. He stated that "it is LESS than likely that the diagnoses of crohn's is due to service". "Even though SM had similar symptoms in the military that he is currently having, it overburdens the logic of cause and effect that inservice event is related to Crohn's". Here's the confusing part, even though the doc stated his opinion, the RO is still requesting VA medication lists and evidence from the medical center.

Should I get ready for an appeal? Thanks!

Not only should you get ready for an appeal..........you should get an IMO ready before hand. If you have military records inferring Crohn's while in service, this should not be a difficult nut to crack.......spending the $$ on a IMO will help you get over the hump.

Not only should you get ready for an appeal..........you should get an IMO ready before hand. If you have military records inferring Crohn's while in service, this should not be a difficult nut to crack.......spending the $$ on a IMO will help you get over the hump.

Sorry, I looked for the definition but I couldn't find what an IMO is. :) Never mind, I found it! Another opinion! I cannot afford to use any other health care beyond the VA right now unfortuantly!

Edited by mike316atl

• HadIt.com Elder

I have some bad news for you.

Chrons is rated as IBS.

The max you can get is 30 percent according to the schedule.

You may be spinning your wheels on this one.

J

I have some bad news for you.

Chrons is rated as IBS.

The max you can get is 30 percent according to the schedule.

You may be spinning your wheels on this one.

J

Is it rated as Ulcerative Colitis since both are forms of Inflammatory Bowel Disease?

I am in no way an expert on filing, but I do know IBS very well

because that is one of my claims. And, I know what Chrohns is

like because my mother has been dealing with it for over 30 years.

You may want too look at the following as secondary maybe.

CFR: 7330 and depression AND anxiety (even though they are

not stackable togather). Depression, because how it effects your

inability to do the normal things in life you may of once enjoyed.

Anxiety because if your not near a bathroom, you will (or it least

I do) sorta freak out. Pain is another issue, which I am not sure at

the moment if thier is a CFR number for.

With either IBS or Chrohns you have to change your life style

to accomadate the problems that they create and to hopefully control it

too some degree. They both are very difficult to adjust too.

I also used IBS in my SSD case, which I just had my court date a week and

half ago and I believe it went very well due too the fact that I included it (IBS)

and the issues that it has created in my life in my claim.

Hopefully others with either will chim in here on thier claims of IBS/Chrohns,

as I will be following this post as well and I will hopefully learn something

new or something I have not thought of.

• HadIt.com Elder

Is it rated as Ulcerative Colitis since both are forms of Inflammatory Bowel Disease?

According to the title 38 part 4, it is to be rated as Regional Interitis. The note says to rate it as IBS

That is they way the VA rated it and that is the the way it will most likely remain since 30 percent is the max rating for it,

J