VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

(New Guy) Help With Va Appeal, Etc....

Rate this question

ShadowofMyself

Question

So last year my brother and I lived in an apartment I owned. He was also a veteran. I was rated 50% for PTSD at the time, and two doctors told me to send in an appeal to raise my rating. My brother was going through a lot himself, he was diagnosed bipolar and the way he was treated in the military made him get a chapter 5-17 just to escape the abuse. He eventually commited suicide in my apartment a few months later and I missed an important PTSD appointment which was scheduled on the same time as he commited suicide so I missed it, and many appointments after that due to my brother. (I saw what he did so now I struggle with ptsd and memories of my brothers suicide).

I go to a vet center which at the time I did not know they didnt share the same computer system, but I told my physchiatrist and still nothing was put on file about what I was going through. I recived a letter in the mail from the VA months later saying that they were going to reduce my ptsd from 50 to 10% and did, by the time I was "well enough" to start handling matters on my own it was too late. I called the congress office and a VA rep helped me write an appeal. He told me I got screwed over and the VA should have known since I did tell a doctor. Now it's been almost a month since I sent it and I was told I should get a VA letter in the mail, I have not recieved anything. Is that normal? Tomorrow I'm going to call the VA rep and ask him who I need to get in contact with.

I'm also on TDRL and for my ptsd that doctor wrote that she recommends I go PDRL. Will the VA decrease affect my raiting in anyway? I usually don't ask for help and advice but I am overwhelmed with life and talking to non-vets gets me nowhere and angery fast! Thank you!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

With what you said, I think with a little help you can have that reversed. I'm not the one to help you with this as it's out of my territory of knowledge but I'm sure someone here will be able to. Main thing is just don't stop trying cause eventually you will triumph.

Coot

First... I am sorry for your loss.

Second... I am sorry the VA screwed you during this extremely traumatic time.

Third... Hang in there. You already have an established DX of PTSD. The VA can readjust your percentage back (or even higher) based on the current aggravation of symptoms. You are doing the right thing on this by involving a congressman. It should speed things up.

Best wishes and hope it resolves soon.