VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Study

Rate this question

#1Cavtrooper

Question

Yesterday my neurologist said he is scheduling me to get checked for Sleep Apnea. Could someone please tell md what takes place during this exam.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

First you will do the normal paperwork at the docs office, questions etc. They will set you up with the study which you will have to stay over night and take a strong sleeping pill, because you will not get a accurate reading if you do not fall asleep. They will attach wires to you and a small box that reads your sleep. A very simple test just the start that takes forever. I remind you, make sure you take a sleeping pill to knock you out.

I had a sleep study done in October 2011. It was no big deal, just fill out the paperwork as asked, then they will wire you to a computer. The "glue" on the electrodes will be difficult to get out of your hair in the morning, but not impossible. I would advise to take pJ's as it was cold in the room for me. I did request an extra blanket. As far as taking sleeping pills, I would NOT do that until I asked the people at the slinic as they may want to see haw you "sleep" on your own. You may take something with you in case it is deemed to be okay. Just my opinion. You wil be released about 5:00 AM. Hope this helps a Veteran.

lugnut AKA Buddy

I've had two sleep studies done, one by Kaiser and one by the VA and in both cases I was given a monitor that I had to wear when I slept and returned them the next day. So your sleep study can either been done at a sleep lab or at home. The important thing is to find out if you have sleep apnea and getting treated for. The most common treatment for sleep apnea is a CPAP machine, I think that for most people the biggest problem with sleeping with the CPAP machine is the mask, finding one that you can sleep with and adjusting so that there is no leaks yet not so tight as to leave red marks.

Rick

One other item to mention is, if they wake you up in the middle of the night and place a mask on you, then that's a sign your positive for Sleep Apnea. Good luck

Coot

Thanks for the replies. I went to the Neurologist for migraine treatment and the doc wants to rule out Sleep Apnea as the cause. He also questioned my cervical spine as the cause.

• HadIt.com Elder

I really had no idea I had severe sleep apnea until I got the study done. My wife said I snored. Finally , on advice from my "private" psychologist I got a sleep study done. It was so bad they called me and told me to come back for another study where I would wear a mask. I did take sleeping pills because I could not get to sleep. They said my oxygene levels dropped into the 70's and I stopped breathing for a minute. My heart rate was steady at 55 beats. Maybe that is why I am not dead already. The mask is my problem. I have to wear the full mask because my pressure is very high to keep my air tube open. I have had five masks. They hurt. They leak. If you want to fly to Australia you can get a custom made mask.....only $1500 bucks for the mask.

John