VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Study

Rate this question

#1Cavtrooper

Question

Yesterday my neurologist said he is scheduling me to get checked for Sleep Apnea. Could someone please tell md what takes place during this exam.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

John:

The problem with spending $1500 for a mask is that they need to be replaced every 6 months. In my Kaiser sleep study I averaged 34 esipodes per hour, the VA didn't tell me how many esipodes I had but it wasn't more than a couple of days after I sent the monitor back to them that they called me and told me to come in to pick up a machine. Mine's set up as an APAP that varies the pressure from 7 to 14 as needed, when I saw the sleep doctor last month she told me that the average pressure was 13. I started out with the nose mask which worked pretty good except that a couple of times I had trouble breathing during the night so they gave me a face mask. I try to sleep with the nose mask but if I have problems during the night I switch to the face mask. They have a total face mask which you might want to try but I don't know if the VA has them, what I hate is at the beginning of the night the mask is fine then later in the night it starts to leak and you have to readjust.

Rick

When I had the sleep study done, I was at the VAMC. Since I take meds for sleep, they just had me do what is normal. I fell asleep and had my normal waking up a lot. The technician did come in and have me put on a mask, and told me then I had sleep apnea. After the sleep study, I met with the doctor and he diagnosed me with Sever Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I was given the full gel mask right away, and still battle with it two years later.

I guess I just don't like sleeping a lot. LOL

• HadIt.com Elder

I would say that with or without the mask I wake up about every 90 minutes. I also have to readjust my mask often. Usually, if I have slept for a couple of hours and wake up the mask hurts. My face hurts. At some point I may just take the mask off and get a few hours without the pain in my face. The provider came over today to replace the chip in my machine. They are going to find sporadic use because the different masks hurt my face and it takes a day for my face to stop hurting before I can wear it again. If I wear it a full 8 hours I usually have a nice, red and painful spot on my nose or face. I am supposed to haul this thing around if I go on a trip....ugh! My doctor is a real fanatic about sleep apnea. I just hope he can understand what his patients go through with these masks. I don't mind the mask or the minor noise. I just don't like waking up with red patch where skin is being rubbed off and turning into a sore.

John

If you have pain and extensive marks on your face the mask is to tight.

I have found a daily wash of my mask in vinegar and hot water will clear out the oils and washing your face just before bed to minimize how much surface oil is on the skin helps.

What is going to sound really crazy is I find sleeping with a pillow on top of my head will provide some gentle resistance to the mask slipping sideways and causing a leak(I am a side sleeper). I keep my bedroom fairly chilly so that I dont build up to much heat. A friend of mine swears by the tempurpedic pillow he indicated he sleeps on the edge of it so that nothing pushes agains the frame of his mask.

Just a couple of tips

• HadIt.com Elder

I use a separate humidifier that really makes the room "moist". My CPAP machine also has humidifier. I sleep on my back since I have TMJ on one side and shoulder pain on the other. I think I could just hang myself up in the closet with my head in a bucket.