VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Survivor Benefits

Rate this question

midnight340

Question

My father was a WWII vet who late in life was put on 100% disability by the VA. He passed away last December. My mother is still living. Can anyone clarify what benefits she should be eligible for? What amount of payment she should receive?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Sorry for the lost of your father midnight. Don't quote me on this but I believe the regs state that your father had to be rated 100% P&T for 10 Years before your mother qualifies for DIC payments. If they were, then that would be beautiful!

Coot

The full gamit of survivors benefits is here in our DIC forum.

If he was SC 100% or TDIU P & T for a continuous ten year period prior to death-

or if he died due to a service connected disability causing or contributing to his death-his surviving spouse would be eligible for DIC.

The basic DIC rate is $1195 per month.

The DIC application (21-534) must be filed within one year after death for the most favorable EED if the claim is granted.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think spouses on welfare get more than those on DIC. The person on welfare of SSI gets food stamps, section 8 housing, a little cash, totally free medical care, and more. I am not saying poor people should have less. I am saying those on DIC should have more, much more. Disabled vets should get more as well. Some don't think they deserve more, but after fighting to get it for 40 years I want more just for the VA inspired PTSD superimposed on existing PTSD. I want revenge!

John

Thank you all for the information.

I will have to check on the 10 year part of this, it is very possible it has been over 10 years, as he was getting his 100% for a good period of time (he lived to 93 yrs old.) He was granted full 100% from when he started getting his benefits. He would not talk about it, or did not know, so I could never find out more. I will check with my brother (co-executor/power of attorney, etc.)

My mother is in an assisted living facility and if she could get some benefits it would help her a lot.

Thanks again!