VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can't Find A Good Enough Hobby

Rate this question

midnight340

Question

My claim just moved to Review of Evidence on ebenefits... Wichita, KS VARO (considered one of the black holes from what I hear) The ebenefits estimated time is "november 2012 to august 2013." Ain't that a specific "estimation"?!!!

My VSO has told me 4-6 months, but I am afraid to believe that.

I was given "70% PTSD non-SC" and awarded a pension as a result of my first claim. I sent good evidence to prove SC so it shouldn't be too complicated to take another look at it. But I hear the piles of claims are huge.

I keep trying to find a good enough hobby to take my mind off it, but it's tough!!! I actually do have things I like to do, but also have obsessive/compulsive tendencies along with the ptsd so it is very hard to not think about my claim constantly.

I am just posting as I needed to express this somewhere. My family got very tired of all the details in making the first claim, gathering evidence, etc. along with PTSD group attendance and all. So I have been trying to protect them and keeping everything to myself.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was going crazy waiting for my claim. Checking ebenefits to much, sending IRIS messages just living my life all for my claim. So I started fishing. It took my mind off of it and focused my energy getting ready to fish and reading whatever I could about the type of fish I wanted to catch and type of lures to use. I went and scouted locations to fish and talked to people about how they were catching them. The next thing I knew I hadn't checked into my claim for almost a month. Just sitting on the dock fishing and BSing with other fisherman I became friends with 2 other VETS. I think having that in common with them made it more comfortable. The best part for me is the old timers talking about the old days. Go fish tell your stories to the young guys I bet they would like to hear about your experiences. Maybe fishing isn't your thing but give it a shot you might find it relaxing. It worked for me and now I'm catching dinner and making new friends in the process.

We understand, mid.

The daily hope walking to the mailbox, and the letdown that follows.

The highlight of my day then (and now) is going to a coffee spot and reading paper/surfing the net/socializing.

I was also researching how I'd spend the money.

Hang in there! smile.png

• In Memoriam

Get a guitar. Go to youtube and look up songs that you like. There are many people who teach these songs for free.

Edited by Stretch

What are your interests? What did you like to do for fun before any of this happened to you?

I have been waiting for about fifteen months on an initial claim. It used to drive me crazy at first but now I think I am getting the hang of this waiting game.

Try model car I personally like the 1to24 scale car and the 1to72 scale figures.

http://www.finescale.com/

http://www.scaleautomag.com/

• HadIt.com Elder

My claim just moved to Review of Evidence on ebenefits... Wichita, KS VARO (considered one of the black holes from what I hear) The ebenefits estimated time is "november 2012 to august 2013." Ain't that a specific "estimation"?!!!

My VSO has told me 4-6 months, but I am afraid to believe that.

I was given "70% PTSD non-SC" and awarded a pension as a result of my first claim. I sent good evidence to prove SC so it shouldn't be too complicated to take another look at it. But I hear the piles of claims are huge.

I keep trying to find a good enough hobby to take my mind off it, but it's tough!!! I actually do have things I like to do, but also have obsessive/compulsive tendencies along with the ptsd so it is very hard to not think about my claim constantly.

I am just posting as I needed to express this somewhere. My family got very tired of all the details in making the first claim, gathering evidence, etc. along with PTSD group attendance and all. So I have been trying to protect them and keeping everything to myself.

The reality of it, 'midnight340', is, there is no timetable for a claim or an appeal. All you can hope for are ball park guesses by the VA ,Vet reps or friends and fellow vets that have been through it.

JMHO... I know it's not easy, however, try not to torment over it. When your mind drifts to the VA maelstrom churning around in your head, first recognize that you are thinking about it. then make a conscious effort to stop it. If nothing else, just for that moment. Then try concentering on your breathing, feel your lungs fill and breath out, or feel your heart beat. Think about something or sometime, or someone that makes you feel good.

Don't get caught up in the "Mailbox Blues". I have been waiting for over 4 years for resolution to my VA case, I know where you are coming from. Please remember that you are not alone.

Good luck on finding a hobby. You deserve peace and happiness.

Cmdr. Bob