VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hep C

Rate this question

Dan

Question

Hi,

I served in the US Navy on board the USS Lexington from 1958 to mid 1962.

In 1992 I found out that I was infected with Hep C. My contention is that it is very possible that I had contacted it while giving blood to the Phillipine National Red Cross, or getting a shave and haircut in any of the Far East Ports that we visited or possibly from a shared razor while at sea for extended periods.

My question to throw out to the group is: Have any of you been successful in filing a claim with the VA for Hep C that you may have contacted prior to Viet Nam or under any of the circumstances that I've addressed?

I do have a recent letter in my VA medical file saying that it was entirely possible and probably that I contacted Hep C due to the unsanitary conditions in the Far East, namely the Phillipines during that time.

I can document all the events. I'm waiting on my medical records from St. Louis (4 months) and my Gastro Doc will write a very good Nexus letter for me.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Dan

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Dan,

I lost my husband in April to Hep C/cirrhosis. I have it also. The link Berta gave you to hcvets.com is the best info out there for vets with hep c. My husband's claim was successful in large part due to the info from there, and how it was presented. He was granted service connection for the hepc due to airgun injections, and we used the claim info Berta was talking about that the VVA won. If you go to that website, somewhere on there is a link to the message board, and Harry, the forum manager, has a file he can email you with a lot of medical evidence in it that can help with your claim. I believe the nexus letter that my husband's dr. wrote for us is in the file also, and there is another nexus letter on the site. If you are still going to get one, make sure it states that it is "at least as likely as not" or "more likely than not" that you contracted the hep while serving and that the dr. addresses all risk factors you were exposed to. The syringes that were used were used with multi dose vials, which were pulled due to the risk of bloodborne pathogens, the info on that is also in the file Harry has.

If you (or anyone else) have any questions or problems getting the file from Harry, please feel free to email me at dock671@gmail.com.

Good luck

Lori