VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Given Insulin In Hospital

Rate this topic

Long story short. I was admitted to the VA hospital for 5 days with a DX of Crohns disease. At one point during my stay, a nurse came in with an insulin shot. I told her that I am not diabetic! She left and said "Don't tell anyone". The same night, another nurse came in and told me the doc ordered insulin and she gave me insulin. Should I be worried? Can insulin be harmful if I am not diabetic?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

In short, no, since you are around to tell about it. Too much insulin can cause problems, but a relatively small amount should not.

I might speculate as to why you were given the insulin, but why bother.

Things like utter mistake, or perhaps a higher than normal blood sugar count, due to a "drip" with glucose come to mind.

I am a diabetic and recently ended up with a couple of insulin shots while I was in the hospital. The problem was related to iodine based dye,

and the need to not take metformin for several days prior and post dye use.

• HadIt.com Elder

If they did blood work and your A1c was above a certain level then yes, you need insulin.

Diabetics dont realize that Glucose problems lead to the bodys ability to handle fats from food causing symptoms like IBS and Chrons disease.

The bad part is with insulin, the body regulates fat better and that is where insulin makes you gain weight.

I would check into it with your doc and ask him to do an A!C on you to be sure.

Basser