VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is My Wife Covered On Champsva Insurance

Rate this question

rdl

Question

I am 100% rated,regular schedular standards,The va says I am not P&T,but they gave educational assistance to mydaughter.My rating decision states you have to be P&T to get this benifit,My question is my wife insurable on champsva insurance.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

YES, get her sign up and if your date for P&T is back dated, then you can go back for her on co-paysmile.png

I'm assuming that you mean your daughter was offered Education Assistance when you were awarded 100%. If yes, then yes, your wife is eligible for Champva Ins.

Who at the VA said you wasn't P&T?

Also, does the award letter state; "no further exams" in it? If it does then you are P&T.

Did you also receive anything referring Champva ins. in the mail?

Coot

I'm assuming that you mean your daughter was offered Education Assistance when you were awarded 100%. If yes, then yes, your wife is eligible for Champva Ins.

Who at the VA said you wasn't P&T?

Also, does the award letter state; "no further exams" in it? If it does then you are P&T.

Did you also receive anything referring Champva ins. in the mail?

Coot

Coot,there is no metion of no further exams, I went to the ve hospital and they said I was not P&T,also champs Said Chicago reg.VA office said I was not P&T,but my rating decion gave my kid Dept.edcational assistance, anit states (the veteran currently has a total service connected disability,permanent in nature. Thanks rdl

The VA decisions are often very illusive on P and T. Sometimes, they will say things like "No future exams are scheduled". We are supposed to take a letter that says that, and expect our county to know that is "P and T" and they often do not make that connection. I mean, gee, is the country tax man supposed to know that "no future exams are scheduled" means "permanent and total"?

Your wife is likely "eligible" for champva, but to actually get the insurance...you guessed it, you have to go through their "process". Fortunately, the champva people are about 20 times more efficient than the VA disability comp people.

You can deal with CHAMPVA directly here:

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp

Your wife has to make a formal application for it and also sent them a copy of the award letter,as I recall but things might have changed.

I have had CHAMPVA for many years ..Never a single problem.

The only problem I had was when the VA tried to tell CHAMPVA I received DIC under 1151 for many years (which does not make anyone eligible for CHAMPVA)

and the VA forgot to tell them that I receive CHAMPVA due to their 100% P & T SC accrued award for my deceased spouse, date retro to 1991. That got fixed real fast.