VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A O Symptoms

Rate this question

BUZZ

Question

Just went in the hospital and they found out that I have coronary artery disease also known as bradycardia ( slow heart rate) Should I file a claim for AO ?

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3.309(e). Presumptive ao for heart:

Ischemic heart disease (including, but not limited to, acute, subacute, and old myocardial infarction; atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease including coronary artery disease (including coronary spasm) and coronary bypass surgery; and stable, unstable and Prinzmetal’s angina)

• HadIt.com Elder

CAD (coronary artery disease), IHD, and bradycardia can be related. CAD can cause IHD. High blood pressure can be related to both IHD and CAD.

Actually, cause and effect of these are intertwined. Bradycardia can be the result of a silent heart attack, or when it is very mild, normal under certain conditions. Since my at rest pulse rate is about 57, I technically have Bradycardia. It's really a minor issue, in comparison to other's, such as CAD.

CAD can be the direct cause of IHD. The big question is what is your left ventricle efficiency, since you do have evidence of damage to your heart.

An LVEF of less than 30% can result in a 100% schedular rating. I assume you fall under the A/O exposure rules.

Hello Buzz,

First ,,, remember that for ANY terminology of CAD, IHD, or Atherosclerosis....They are one and the same. I have been diagnosed with each one but the VA and medical terminology will all come up the same. So if you have one .....sorry you got them all.

However you will try to use the IHD as it is presumptive to all AO veterans who have boots on the ground Vietnam. This does not apply to me because of my station and I am under Direct exposure of AO where it was widely used. Just as James Cripps one of our members in Fort Gordon Georgia won his AO award under direct exposure. And Kurt Priessman another one of our members who won his AO in Thailand , it is an example of how widespread the AO problem is . Please check our AO archives and read my post on Agent Orange Bases and see just how many there are and those not even listed by DOD list.

As Chuck pointed out ...your LVEF or infarction rate will need to be addressed to point you to the correct rating schedular percentage by VA. It will help if your Cardiologist or even your PCP Doctor can list you as IHD but you already have one diagnosis so see what that doctor will say. IMOs ,,,,will trigger your Benefit of a Doubt rule and the way to have IMOs written is on our site also. Above all , if you are just starting, be prepared for a long wait and battle ....but the main issue will and still is ............NEVER GIVE UP. ....God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate