VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Calculating Retro

Rate this question

cooter

Question

I'm trying to figure out if I received the correct amount of retro and need a little assistance on how to figure the mid-month ED. For instance my ED was 6-15-2010. do I count the full month as retro or partial?

Coot

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Coot - ya don't get paid for anything but full months of compensation. If your application(claim date) is 6/15/10 and they award using that date, the monetary benefit starts on 7/1/10, with the actual amount paid after the month has ended, which is on 8/1/10. Just sayin . . .

pr

I'm trying to figure out if I received the correct amount of retro and need a little assistance on how to figure the mid-month ED. For instance my ED was 6-15-2010. do I count the full month as retro or partial?

Coot

• HadIt.com Elder

Coot

Congratulations on the retro, Coot..

How did it go?

Bob

I hope to be in this situation soon myself with a claim date of 8 Oct 2010. I thought it was from the date of the claim, not the MONTH of the claim.

If thats the case, then if my retro was paid at end of July/beginning of August, I'm looking at 22 months?

Thats almost a whole month they get to sit on a claim for free? I wonder how much money they save doing that to people who put their claim in on the 1st or second of the month...that can't be correct.

It finally came out the way I wanted it to. Awarded IU with a nice little chunk of retro to go with it. No P&T though as that should be coming in the future when I file the rest of my disabilities. The IU was granted due to my post TKR back in 08. It was also granted under my reconsideration letter which is rare. The weird part of it was it went past the 1 year deadline even tho I went ahead and filed an NOD 1 day before the 1 year was up but they went ahead and granted it without the NOD. Odd uh. Thanks Bob!

Coot

Congratulations on the retro, Coot..

How did it go?

Bob

I hope to be in this situation soon myself with a claim date of 8 Oct 2010. I thought it was from the date of the claim, not the MONTH of the claim.

If thats the case, then if my retro was paid at end of July/beginning of August, I'm looking at 22 months?

Thats almost a whole month they get to sit on a claim for free? I wonder how much money they save doing that to people who put their claim in on the 1st or second of the month...that can't be correct.

That's how it works with all agencies even SSA.

You either meet the criteria for the entire month or the month

doesn't count.

They are really not getting to it on something for free.

VBA and SSA benefits aren't like an insurance policy in that if you cancel mid month

you get a rebate.

I really didn't know that PR. Then VA needs to start writing these out like "Your Effective Date starts the 1st of July, or the 1st of whatever the following month is. That's crazy. I'll figure it out using the 1st of July and see what it comes out to. What month did we start the COLA? I'm thinking it was in Oct.

Coot

Coot - ya don't get paid for anything but full months of compensation. If your application(claim date) is 6/15/10 and they award using that date, the monetary benefit starts on 7/1/10, with the actual amount paid after the month has ended, which is on 8/1/10. Just sayin . . .

pr