C&p Exam For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

brentakar

Question

I have 2 C&P exams this month for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder . I put in for an increase, after seeing doctors at the VA and supposedly one of the C&P exams is a written test , and the other one is with a doctor.Has anyone ever gone in for a OCD C&P , and taken a test? If they have, what type of test is it.? Please reply back.Thanks.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

They might give you the MMPI. Really, what counts is how OCD disables you. Some people spend 4 hours just trying to get out of the house and then have to go back to check the gas five times. If you have rituals and obsessions that take up all your time how can you work? This is really what they are looking for is evidence that your OCD is making it hard for you to work and get along with others. Some people with OCD seem almost psychotic but they are not.

John

This is one of the things that the Shrink said I had at my second PTSD C&P Exam, and that it was causing my constant overeating. This was just part of the exam, and not specifically for OCD.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

People do OCD things to reduce anxiety. I don't think it works but all that worry and obsession makes it worse of course. There are cases of OCD where you would believe the person is out of their mind, but they are not. They sometimes do their work but believe that every time they drive down the road they have just run over a child and must stop and check it out. This may happen five times a day or 20 times a day.

My DH has OCD as part of his PTSD diagnosis. His OCD obsessions are numerous and impact his life in many ways (and mine too, of course). He has an extensive ritual that must be performed before he can leave the house. It took me a while to understand that interfering with it (as in trying to hurry him) caused him great anxiety. He also dresses in a particular manner that I won't describe here (too easy to identify him... I've never seen anyone else like him and anyone reading this would know him immediately - yes, I am paranoid. It's in my records). If he can't wear certain articles of clothing, he can't leave the bedroom. Period. These things make him feel safe and in control, and he knows they aren't "normal" and when he thinks about it he becomes very distressed, because he knows that his "control" is actually controlling him. Bitter irony, isn't it?

Another odd one is that he has to watch a particular TV program. It comes on here every day at the same time. If we are out shopping and it's getting close to time for the show, he becomes very agitated and anxious, and keeps watching the clock or his watch. We watched "Rainman" together a few months ago and now he jokes that it's almost time for Wapner. We laugh about it, but it's really awful.

Taking his medications religiously hasn't had any impact on the intensity of these OCD behaviors. These don't include checking the doors & windows, I do that too. Then we both check to make sure the other one actually checked and didn't forget.... that's not so much OCD because... wait, maybe it is. I'll put it on my list....