VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Records Question Again?

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

After waiting three months we got my husbands records from NPRC. There was not one medical record in the envelope. His entire records package was 6 sheets of paper and two of them were certified copies of his DD-214. They said we need to contact the local vet office nearest us and request the medical records from them. Now should we request the medical records from the RO or should we wait until we can submit everything and then request a copy of the c-file or should we drive the four hours and go in person to get a copy of the c-file? what's up with the medical records originals being sent, not copies? I'm not sure we getting the straight stuff here. :rolleyes: Anyone have any imput on this?

Jangrin :unsure:

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jangrin,

"They said we need to contact the local vet office nearest us and request the medical records from them"

If your husband has already filed a claim with VA, then his SMR's are (more than likely) with your regional office.

"Now should we request the medical records from the RO or should we wait until we can submit everything and then request a copy of the c-file or should we drive the four hours and go in person to get a copy of the c-file"

What are you trying to accomplish? The VA already has his records if he filed a claim. It would be wise to request a copy of his records from your RO to see what they have and make sure there isn't anything missing. You don't need to request them and resubmit them back to the VA! One way to get a copy of his C-file to write a request to the VA citing the 1974 Privacy Act. The VA has 20 days to respond according to Federal Law. This rarely happens, but you do get the copies within in a few weeks!

"what's up with the medical records originals being sent, not copies"

When VA request records from NPRC, they send the VA what the have and do not retain anything. If you try to request those records after VA has, NPRC will send you a notice stating that the requested records are "on loan" to the VA. That's why it is very important to get copies for yourself

Hope this helps!

Vike 17

Guest jangrin

Thank you Vike17,

All were trying to do is get as complete a copy as possible of my husbands medical and assignment records. There are some health treatment questions he has and we want to look at the records and see if they will support a possible future claim.

Secondly, we want to make sure the RO has all the current and past medical records for the current claims. We are pretty sure they do not have everything, but I don't want to send them duplicates, because I think that will confuse the matter. So we were trying to get all the new stuff together and then send it in all at once (wait a week ot two) and then request a copy of the c-file and make sure everything is in it.

They keep asking for medical nexus and proof of service (vietnam) so I wonder how much of the records they have acutually gotten.

thanks in advance for your imput.

Jangrin :rolleyes:

Edited by jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA keeps asking for proof of service and a medical nexus, you should send them acopy of his DD214 and either private health records showing continuity of treatment from his discharge, or an IMO from a Doctor showing a nexus!

Vike 17

Guest jangrin

thanks Vike17,

We just did exactly that. Dr. Bash report for VA and SSDI, SC DMII and secondarys to AO exposure in RVN. Also just recieved SSA doctor's psych report and VA contract doc both agree on ptsd and depression. VA clinic doc refuses to examine for PTSD but did diagnose for depression. (go figure). What we are trying to do is get medical service records for my husband from when he was in RVN, 1967-1968. We need to get records for claim to help with his PTSD stressor letter. Part of PTSD is he does not remember his buddies or even too much about when he was stationed in RVN. We are hoping his records will aid in jogging his memory. We are still trying to gather his records so we can look through them ourselves. Basically, doing our homework for our VA battle plan.

I think we will request a copy of the medical file from the RO and then in a couple of weeks request a copy of the entire c-file. Then if there is something we think is missing we cn get it and send it in before they actually do any rating. Something that should be as easy as a telephone call turns out to be a major ordeal and takes forever when it should happen in very short order. we're open to other suggestions if you all think of any other way to get our hands on these records.

Jangrin :rolleyes:

• HadIt.com Elder

Jangrin,

"I think we will request a copy of the medical file from the RO and then in a couple of weeks request a copy of the entire c-file"

Just request a copy of the whole thing at one time.

Vike 17

Guest jangrin
Jangrin,

"I think we will request a copy of the medical file from the RO and then in a couple of weeks request a copy of the entire c-file"

Just request a copy of the whole thing at one time.

Vike 17

Vike17,

OK!!! we'll wait a few weeks and request copy of C-file. It's just after waiting three months a person gets a little impatient. :rolleyes: But you are right. Thanks.

Jangrin :unsure: