Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. Many folks use Ad Blockers and I understand why, I would ask that if you want to support HadIt.com and help keep it online add HadIt.com website as an exception ×

Ptsd Claim

ntyler0341

Question

I filed for PTSD back in Oct 2011. This past month, I had received documentation from the VA, stating they need additional evidence showing the condition existed from military service. Attached was the statementin support form, which i'll fill out. My question, since I have never been diagnosed, what else do I have to do? What is the VA bound to do by law? I have seen a doctor, and have documentaion and medications for sleep. Do I actually have to be diagnosed for this to move beyond this stage?

Any information would be appreciated.

Nate

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA has to make a DX of PTSD. Do you see a psychiatrist at the VA on a regular basis? Do you go to PTSD group at vet center? I think the VA is asking for documentation that they should provide. You have to be really pro-active to get to a C&P exam where the VA must DX you with PTSD. What does the doctor who gave you sleep meds say is wrong with you? Do you have any combat medals or badges? I sure would provide that evidence if I had it on my DD214. Were you in Iraq or Afghanistan?

John

I filed for PTSD back in Oct 2011. This past month, I had received documentation from the VA, stating they need additional evidence showing the condition existed from military service. Attached was the statementin support form, which i'll fill out. My question, since I have never been diagnosed, what else do I have to do? What is the VA bound to do by law? I have seen a doctor, and have documentaion and medications for sleep. Do I actually have to be diagnosed for this to move beyond this stage?

Any information would be appreciated.

Nate

Welcome,

When and where did you serve?

When were you separated?

What is your current 30 percent SC for?

USMC, CAR. 1990-94

Somalia and Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

I met with my doctor, let him know I have problems sleeping throughout any given night and why. He noted in my visit, and wrote a letter stating it is more likely than not that its connected to my service.

30% for tinitus, lower back from fast roping and "arthritus" in right ankle. Today I have C&P for lower back and hearing loss. Because of speech recognition, its probably a lost cause though

USMC, CAR. 1990-94

Somalia and Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

I met with my doctor, let him know I have problems sleeping throughout any given night and why.

He noted in my visit, and wrote a letter stating it is more likely than not that its connected to my service.

He noted that __________(what) "is more likely than not that its connected to my service."

And he supported this opinion with full medical rationale by stating _____________(what)?

Also, is "he" a mental health professional?

What are his credentials?

• HadIt.com Elder

You have everything you need except a DX of PTSD by the VA. You have verifiable stressors (CAR). Do you know anything about symptoms of PTSD? Google it. The VA changed the rules so that only they can make a DX of PTSD that will stick. Under old rules you would have had it made if you could get any shrink private or VA to say you had PTSD. Did you get any sort of treatment for nerves while in the service or sleeping problems? To my eyes all you need is the DX of PTSD from the VA by hook or by crook. I have seen claims with much less evidence get accepted. There are people here with even more evidence who have been denied because the VA won't make a DX of PTSD.

John