VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Have A C&p In A Couple Weeks What To Expect

Rate this question

GDavis9755

Question

March last year I was awarded 90%SC. Right after that I received TDIU at 100% T&P. Life was great after years of the fight..

Then the same month (March) I was DX with small cell lung cancer (Limed). I filed for SC because of AO and was awarded 100% with aid and attedance.

After 6 treatments of chemo, along with 35 radiation the same time. After that 15 radiation brain treatments. Here we are in June of this year they want to have a C&P for my (respiratory problem). I so far am NED for the cancer. It's all the other problems that really hard on me. Some where and some how I had two TIC strokes, can't feel much in my feet, found out last week I have a vein that is completely blocked but have two other veins that has by-passed the main one. I also got 65% damage to my kidneys .

I,m still tired all the time sweat at night, hit the bath room 8-12 times a night, dizzy when I stand or walk, can't walk 100 ft with out almost passing out.

I figure they'll knock me back to TDIU which would cost me money. Do I need to file for all the other problems that has been caused frome the cancer treatment? I was well and no idea of what the treatment was going to do to me. Thaks

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"What should I expect filing for the lung damage, kidney, and the other problems the treatment has caused? "

Was this damage claimed as secondary to the AO cancer?

Was this damage instead claimed under Section 1151 ,38 USC, due to negligence and/or medical error on VA's part?

"Do I need to file for all the other problems that has been caused frome the cancer treatment?"

It might help you reach the highest levels of SMC but not enough info here to really tell.

Many vets here are always very conscious too that ,if they die with 100% SC in affect for ten continous years, their spouse will get DIC benefits.

But problems can occur for survivors if something that is not SC yet and should be , and then causes death.

"Some where and some how I had two TIC strokes, " do you mean transcient brain ischemia?

"I also got 65% damage to my kidneys " What does VA attribute that too?

I would claim it all.You sure deal with a lot!

This is a very good thing:

"the cancer it's under control right now" and it sounds like the treatment in that respect has been great.

Unfortunately aggressive cancer treatments can have serious side affects and cause more problems.

That usually isn't negligence at all unless the treatments are excessive and don't comply with a usual standard of medical care but the VA should SC anything due to these treatments as secondary to your AO cancer.

Berta,

The treatment I received was very good and very aggressive to combat an aggressive cancer. Most don't make it with small cell lung cancer. So far so good beating back the cancer. But it sure took a toll on my body and most systems, but I'm alive.

Of course I worry about my wife getting the DIC payment, that is the reason to have everything damaged by the treatment to be rated. I would say no one made any mistakes as far as the treatment, it's just the damage my heart, kidneys and the two mini strokes were noted after the treatment. If the cancer comes back it will be fast, but my wife will have that battle won. The kidneys and heart damage are the only thing else that needed to be rated. Cancer, kidney disease, or heart attack have the best chance of killing me then any of the other SC conditions. They have given me two C&P now, one for heart the other for the kidneys.

So I'm guessing I need to file a claim for damage caused me from the treatment. There are a few other things that I will put in the claim.

Thanks to everyone for the help

Really hate to bring this up . . . BUT

have all of your affairs in order.

A folder for wife and family - - upon my death

REQUEST AN AUTOPSY

DD214

Pre-arranged funeral or memorial instructions - COMPLETE.

Bank accounts

Insurance

Vehicle Titles

XXX

XXX

XXX

XXX

XXXX

XXX

Heck man - maybe your wife could do one too

as it might give you each a little piece of mind in this area.

Well folks, the kidneys, lung damage, and damage to the heart has moved me from 100% TP TDIU to 100% service connected with aid & attendance.

So I guess I have no further battles with the VA. Must say the VA fight seemed much harder on me then my fight with Cong at time over the years. All I ever wanted was to be whole ago. Fix what you can then follow the law. Does anyone think this was too hard to ask for?

• HadIt.com Elder

GDavis:

Actually the VA should want to help Vets obtain earned benefits but like you I had to fight for 5 and 1/2 years to get mine and still get cheated on back pay.