VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Seeking Guidance From My Old Friends (And Hopefully Some New Ones)

Rate this question

rentalguy1

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The folks who have been on this board for a while know me, and know what my last VA battle entailed. A quick rundown for new folks, or the old ones that have forgotten, though:

I am 90/ TDIU/ P&T since October 2008. I have not had any C&P's scheduled, and it is written in my last decision letter that no more will be scheduled. I've been around the VA long enough to know that what is written in that decision letter and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee, though. I have several conditions that are currently SC'd and rated. The list is:

Neurogenic Bladder - 60%

Intervertebral Disc Syndrome - 40%

Mood Disorder Due to a General Medical Condition - 30%

Sciatica - 10%

Left Knee - 10%

Right Knee - 10%

Hearing Loss - 10%

Tinitus - 10%

Left Foot Plantar Fascitis - 10%

I have moderate to severe central canal and foraminal spinal stenosis, facet joint arthritis, and degenerative disc disease in my entire lumber spine. I also have healed compression fractures at T-11, T-12, and L1. This has led to a foot drop on the right side that I have to wear a AFO brace for. I have a torn meniscus and sctretched PCL in the right knee, and "runner's knee" in the left knee. I have to take about 30 pills a day in order to function at a minimal level, and have been doing so for many years.

In the last 2 years, I have started to go downhill in many areas. The medicaations have caused me to have chronic abnormal liver enzymes and chronic gastritis type symptoms. I took a fall in 2010 when I tripped over my droopy foot and injured my right shoulder. Last winter I started developing sciatica on the left side, and last month I was diagnosed with bursitis in my left hip, which is every bit as debilitating as the back pain.

While researching on Hadit for a friends claim, I found a Fast Letter from 2010 regarding TDIU. It states that if a veteran is rated as IU based on a single issue, then that issue is considered a total (100%) rating for the purpose of assigning SMC - S. I am thinking about filing a claim for the S award based upon my IU for IVDS (the condition used in the VA's decision to grant me TDIU) and having a 60% award in addition. I am also thinking of filing a claim for a K award based upon the right side foot drop. Since I would already be filing, I am thinking I might as well ask for SC for the shoulder injury, hip bursitis, left side sciatica, digestive issues, and elevated liver enzymes. I would also seek a increased rating for the right side sciatica, due to the foot drop and possibly attempt to reopen a claim for GERD that they have denied a few times, but I almost got overturned on a DRO review in 2009 (they wanted to scope me for the C&P when the findings of that test weren't pertitnent to the rating criteria in any way, so I said no).

The thing is, I know I am already considered 100% P&T. I know I may get a schedular 100%, but I don't know if it would effect my P&T status. I know the additional schedular ratings would not increase my monthly compensation amount, but the two SMC awards would. However, I don't really need the extra money, since we are doing fine right now. My main points for wanting to do this is 1) I have legitimately earned the ratings, and feel I should be compensated for them, and 2) I want to have the digestive system, liver abnormalities, and GERD SC'd, because any one of them could turn into a life threatening condition down the road (should I die of a SC'd condition my family would still have some benefits).

My head is telling me to file these claims for the main reasons I just stated. My gut is telling me that I am currently off their radar screen and will be for a long time because of the OIF/OEF vets filing their claims, and the enormous backlog of claims that the VA is currently dealing with. Knowing that, my gut says to let sleeping dogs lie until they wake up on their own. In other words, my gut is saying when the VA decides that they didn't really mean P&T when they put it in writing, and call me in for a C&P, I could file the claims then. What do you guys and gals think? Go for it, or leave it be?

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My wife had heartburn for a while. One night after eating some very spicey food she started to have real pain. I took her to the hospital ER. They did some blood work and found she had some kind of infection. Then they did a CT scan and found a problem in her stomache. She had to have an operation right away before the ulcer ruptured. Pain is a message that needs to be listened to right away.

• HadIt.com Elder

I haven't had heartburn since it first started. Mine is actual reflux, where the stomach acid comes all the way up your throat. When I am having a espisode, usually at night, it's like being on the verge of vomiting without ever feeling nauseas. You don't have the queasy feeling, or the cold sweats. You just feel the acid in your throat and it causes your diaphragm muscle to spasm, which causes intense, deep chest pain that mimicks a heart attack. You can almost always tell the difference, though, because there is never any referred jaw or shoulder pain accompanying it.

rentalguy,

I currently go to a private gastroenterologist and have had several endoscopy procedures monitoring my GERD and they are painless if you receive anesthesia such as propofol. I definitely would not have one without anesthesia. After the situation with the cross contamination during endoscopic procedures at the Augusta VAMC in Georgia, I would not even think about allowing the VA to give me a endoscopy.

Your GERD sounds more serious than mine. I have been on Nexium 40 mg twice a day for about 20 years. I have been on Zanatac 150 mg twice a day for 3 years. I am also on Carafate liquid two teaspoons 4 times a day. I have a chronic cough from the GERD, especially right after eating. Last year my doctor recommended I have a Nissen Fundoplication surgical procedure at the Mayo Cllinic in Jacksonville, Florida. The doctor said he would not recommend allowing any doctor to perform this surgical procedure unless they have successfully performed the procedure many times. I am still procrastinating about having this procedure. Check it out on the internet and you will see it is a complex surgery and sometimes has complications. Has your doctor recommended this procedure for you?

I also have problems with hyperplastic stomach polyps. During my last endoscopy procedure on the 7th of this month, my doctor removed 48 large polyps and stated I still had some small ones which he would check again in a few months. I am waiting for the pathologist report.

You should definitely have the endoscopy procedure because of the potential of developing stomach cancer. Hopefully you will never have it, but better to catch it early if you do have it.

Good luck to you...

Georgiapapa

I haven't had heartburn since it first started. Mine is actual reflux, where the stomach acid comes all the way up your throat. When I am having a espisode, usually at night, it's like being on the verge of vomiting without ever feeling nauseas. You don't have the queasy feeling, or the cold sweats. You just feel the acid in your throat and it causes your diaphragm muscle to spasm, which causes intense, deep chest pain that mimicks a heart attack. You can almost always tell the difference, though, because there is never any referred jaw or shoulder pain accompanying it.

Yepper - that's my good old buddy - gerd: - )

Just for the record -

there are many non-vamc facilities/medical centers that have made headlines

and come up on google in regards to cross- contamination from medical procedures

and tests.

• HadIt.com Elder

rentalguy,

I currently go to a private gastroenterologist and have had several endoscopy procedures monitoring my GERD and they are painless if you receive anesthesia such as propofol. I definitely would not have one without anesthesia. After the situation with the cross contamination during endoscopic procedures at the Augusta VAMC in Georgia, I would not even think about allowing the VA to give me a endoscopy.

Your GERD sounds more serious than mine. I have been on Nexium 40 mg twice a day for about 20 years. I have been on Zanatac 150 mg twice a day for 3 years. I am also on Carafate liquid two teaspoons 4 times a day. I have a chronic cough from the GERD, especially right after eating. Last year my doctor recommended I have a Nissen Fundoplication surgical procedure at the Mayo Cllinic in Jacksonville, Florida. The doctor said he would not recommend allowing any doctor to perform this surgical procedure unless they have successfully performed the procedure many times. I am still procrastinating about having this procedure. Check it out on the internet and you will see it is a complex surgery and sometimes has complications. Has your doctor recommended this procedure for you?

I also have problems with hyperplastic stomach polyps. During my last endoscopy procedure on the 7th of this month, my doctor removed 48 large polyps and stated I still had some small ones which he would check again in a few months. I am waiting for the pathologist report.

You should definitely have the endoscopy procedure because of the potential of developing stomach cancer. Hopefully you will never have it, but better to catch it early if you do have it.

Good luck to you...

Georgiapapa

Thanks for the info. I think yours is worse than mine is and you've dealt with it a little longer than I have. One thing I've learned healthwise over the years is that it can ALWAYS get worse. We have to keep reminding ourselves of this.