VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Seeking Guidance From My Old Friends (And Hopefully Some New Ones)

Rate this question

rentalguy1

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The folks who have been on this board for a while know me, and know what my last VA battle entailed. A quick rundown for new folks, or the old ones that have forgotten, though:

I am 90/ TDIU/ P&T since October 2008. I have not had any C&P's scheduled, and it is written in my last decision letter that no more will be scheduled. I've been around the VA long enough to know that what is written in that decision letter and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee, though. I have several conditions that are currently SC'd and rated. The list is:

Neurogenic Bladder - 60%

Intervertebral Disc Syndrome - 40%

Mood Disorder Due to a General Medical Condition - 30%

Sciatica - 10%

Left Knee - 10%

Right Knee - 10%

Hearing Loss - 10%

Tinitus - 10%

Left Foot Plantar Fascitis - 10%

I have moderate to severe central canal and foraminal spinal stenosis, facet joint arthritis, and degenerative disc disease in my entire lumber spine. I also have healed compression fractures at T-11, T-12, and L1. This has led to a foot drop on the right side that I have to wear a AFO brace for. I have a torn meniscus and sctretched PCL in the right knee, and "runner's knee" in the left knee. I have to take about 30 pills a day in order to function at a minimal level, and have been doing so for many years.

In the last 2 years, I have started to go downhill in many areas. The medicaations have caused me to have chronic abnormal liver enzymes and chronic gastritis type symptoms. I took a fall in 2010 when I tripped over my droopy foot and injured my right shoulder. Last winter I started developing sciatica on the left side, and last month I was diagnosed with bursitis in my left hip, which is every bit as debilitating as the back pain.

While researching on Hadit for a friends claim, I found a Fast Letter from 2010 regarding TDIU. It states that if a veteran is rated as IU based on a single issue, then that issue is considered a total (100%) rating for the purpose of assigning SMC - S. I am thinking about filing a claim for the S award based upon my IU for IVDS (the condition used in the VA's decision to grant me TDIU) and having a 60% award in addition. I am also thinking of filing a claim for a K award based upon the right side foot drop. Since I would already be filing, I am thinking I might as well ask for SC for the shoulder injury, hip bursitis, left side sciatica, digestive issues, and elevated liver enzymes. I would also seek a increased rating for the right side sciatica, due to the foot drop and possibly attempt to reopen a claim for GERD that they have denied a few times, but I almost got overturned on a DRO review in 2009 (they wanted to scope me for the C&P when the findings of that test weren't pertitnent to the rating criteria in any way, so I said no).

The thing is, I know I am already considered 100% P&T. I know I may get a schedular 100%, but I don't know if it would effect my P&T status. I know the additional schedular ratings would not increase my monthly compensation amount, but the two SMC awards would. However, I don't really need the extra money, since we are doing fine right now. My main points for wanting to do this is 1) I have legitimately earned the ratings, and feel I should be compensated for them, and 2) I want to have the digestive system, liver abnormalities, and GERD SC'd, because any one of them could turn into a life threatening condition down the road (should I die of a SC'd condition my family would still have some benefits).

My head is telling me to file these claims for the main reasons I just stated. My gut is telling me that I am currently off their radar screen and will be for a long time because of the OIF/OEF vets filing their claims, and the enormous backlog of claims that the VA is currently dealing with. Knowing that, my gut says to let sleeping dogs lie until they wake up on their own. In other words, my gut is saying when the VA decides that they didn't really mean P&T when they put it in writing, and call me in for a C&P, I could file the claims then. What do you guys and gals think? Go for it, or leave it be?

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Rentalguy....Your posts on lumbar Ivds hav been an inspiration to me. I got to 40%. Ijust had the upper gi endoscopy and they found LA grade A reflux esophagitis (MILD). My symptons were similar but I had aches in arms and burning in my chest. The aches in arms have subsided after changing my chlorestoral medicine from pravastatin to generic Lipitor. I have no acid indigestion either. My echogram showed heart to be in good shape. Get the test done if no more than ease your mind.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Shane,

I am sorry, but I cannot advise you.

I dropped out of the game some years back, but you have a lot of supporters here to help you.

Just dropped in to say, " Hi" and the " Best to You".

Betty

• HadIt.com Elder

Rentalguy....Your posts on lumbar Ivds hav been an inspiration to me. I got to 40%. Ijust had the upper gi endoscopy and they found LA grade A reflux esophagitis (MILD). My symptons were similar but I had aches in arms and burning in my chest. The aches in arms have subsided after changing my chlorestoral medicine from pravastatin to generic Lipitor. I have no acid indigestion either. My echogram showed heart to be in good shape. Get the test done if no more than ease your mind.

Thanks don. It was inspiring to me to find all that stuff back then. If I can manage to make myself feel better I will dig and find more of that info. I'm glad they were able to get your GERD somewhat straightened out.

Hi Shane,

I am sorry, but I cannot advise you.

I dropped out of the game some years back, but you have a lot of supporters here to help you.

Just dropped in to say, " Hi" and the " Best to You".

Betty

Nice to hear from you Betty. Thanks for the well wishes. I understand about dropping out of the game once you've won. I was a bit deflated at first, then the meds started making my memory uncooperative, and then I had words with some people I shouldn't have. I try to keep the mood disorder and its anger in check, but it wins every once in a while.