VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo For Competatncy Issue

Rate this question

jjmd

Question

Hello follow veterans. Your continued support has been a blessing

The Va is proposing incompetence and I have a couple of weeks to send them NOD along with supporting documents. Someone already mentioned that having IMO is very important. I am searching for a psychiatrist in my area. I not sure what I need to tell them. Do I need to get a full evaluation? which I think will cost a fortune and I don't have that kind of money to begin with. Does anyone went trough this process? How much does it cost? Is there a specific way to write their opinion to the VA or just a simple letter stating that I am competent or incompetent? Do I need to take my medical document with me? I know I am asking too many question. I will appreciate your help in advance.

Thank you!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Hello follow veterans. Your continued support has been a blessing

The Va is proposing incompetence and I have a couple of weeks to send them NOD along with supporting documents.

Someone already mentioned that having IMO is very important. I am searching for a psychiatrist in my area. I not sure what I need to tell them. Do I need to get a full evaluation? which I think will cost a fortune and I don't have that kind of money to begin with. Does anyone went trough this process? How much does it cost? Is there a specific way to write their opinion to the VA or just a simple letter stating that I am competent or incompetent? Do I need to take my medical document with me? I know I am asking too many question. I will appreciate your help in advance.

Thank you!

A proposal to reduce is not a decision - so there is not yet something to file a NOD on.

It would be in your best interest to IMMEDIATELY submit (and get proof of submitting this)

a written request for a hearing - in person at the VARO and that the VBA take no further action

on the proposal to reduce until after you have been afforded the hearing and opportunity

to present evidence and testimony on your behalf, in support of your ability to handle your

va compensation/benefits in a competent manner.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST, you do not haste in doing this.

JMHO

Hello Carie. It was kind of confusing what to do. There are so much conflicting information floating around the Internet. I recently read someone's suggestion on vawatchdog. This person said to write NOD with the tittle "This letter is a Notice of Disagreement with your proposal to consider the appointment of a fiduciary." So is that wrong? Or I just need to write a brief letter describing my competency.

It's real simple - a NOD applies to a decision that has been made.

A proposal - is not a decision that has been made - it is a proposal.

I already answered what needs to be done and advised not to make haste

in doing it.

If you do not do this immediately the proposal will BECOME a decision and

VA will determine you are incompetent and start applying fiduciary rules to you

and your benefits for VA purposes.

AFTER you have done that you need to prepare for the hearing by gathering

medical and financial evidence that supports you are competent.

That's the best I can do to help you with what you have posted.

It's your claim and your decision/s.

Hello Carie. It was kind of confusing what to do. There are so much conflicting information floating around the Internet. I recently read someone's suggestion on vawatchdog.

This person said to write NOD with the tittle "This letter is a Notice of Disagreement with your proposal to consider the appointment of a fiduciary." So is that wrong? Or I just need to write a brief letter describing my competency.

The VA can only find you incompetant if you can not handle you money. It is best to have the doctor you are currently seeing write a state that it is his/her medical opinion that you have displayed the ability to handle your money and are capable of paying your own bills. It will hold more weight than you getting a statement from a doctor that has not trated you in the pass.

Thank you Carie & Sharon

Carie, sorry for my misunderstanding and what you said makes a lot of sense and that is what I am going to do

Ok this is what I am planing to do

As you suggested, I am going to send a letter to the VA requesting a personal hearing ASAP

Then within 60 days, send them supporting evidences showing that I am competent.

Thank you Carie & Sharon

Carie, sorry for my misunderstanding and what you said makes a lot of sense and that is what I am going to do

Ok this is what I am planing to do

As you suggested, I am going to send a letter to the VA requesting a personal hearing ASAP

Then within 60 days, send them supporting evidences showing that I am competent.

Be sure to:

"submit (and get proof of submitting this)

a written request for a hearing - in person at the VARO and that the VBA take no further action

on the proposal to reduce until after you have been afforded the hearing and opportunity

to present evidence and testimony on your behalf, in support of your ability to handle your

va compensation/benefits in a competent manner.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use