VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dro Appeal And Progress Notes

Rate this question

emandg

Question

I have filed a NOD with a DRO review request. My question is, when the NOD eventually gets to the DRO for review, will he/ she pull up to date V.A. Progress Notes from my Therapist and Psychiatrist showing my continued treatment for inclusion in the decision making process ?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

5 answers to this question

In working my own claim and helping others, I have obtained conflicting information about that, even from VA themselves. If it were me, I'd request my own progress notes through the local ROI office, copy them, and forward to VARO. I have done that myself to ensure they have them. It also gives me the opportunity to note exactly what those notes state. A little time, some copies, stamps, and certified mail fee, but I like to be safer than sorrier, knowing they do have them. Good luck!

The VARO has access to the same program the hospital uses. They,the VARO, remotely accesses the progress notes,labs,discharge summary,vitals to name a few. All the progress notes from the veteran does is create new folders. jMHO

So very true...they do have the same access. However, the question becomes do they always do as they could? In my claim, I have found that, no, my VARO has not always even followed VA's own rules. So, I have taken upon myself to make sure that they have what they should because only I care the most about my claim. Additionally, I have been able to note for myself when there have been errors of omission, misinformation, etc. in progress notes, thereby, giving me the opportunity to know what information they do have, and asking to have it corrected when possible, With my claim, I had to do what needed to be done to ensure they were not missing what is availabe and that it was correct. But, I realize that everyone has their own way of doing things and what worked for me may not work for someone else...

Have you requested a copy of the progress notes on your way out of the VAMC? You can do this at the Release of Information office at the VAMC, then send a copy to the VARO (certified/receipt of course).

I have boxes,, yes large boxes of progress notes,, and hte VSO told me the VA claims people do not need or use mine, my VSO said they can get them..

but the VA does not even bother to read or use mine, and, if you have seen the pictures I posted, you would understand unless you get inteir face, in a meeting and print them out and who them to make them part of an official record, they will never read you progress notes.., and there is no way to find out if they ever do read anything..

I am at a loss to tell you how to get them entered into record... I know you can submit any evidence you have but... getting the VA to actually use them is another story..

I took my progress to my VSO, she and me and my wife took highlighter pens out to underline key sentences and submitted information..

I have a feeling the only people that will take the claim seriously are at a BVA hearing, where it is shuch a big deal, so offical, the local regional VA claims people cannot hide or cover up documents at the BVA hearing.. so, if you do file those as evidence, at least at the BVA hearing, yopu can say they ahve been submitted, but the VA ignored them... then at least you are covered and it's the VA that hid evidence..

the only other problem with progress notes is doctor language, medical terms,, how would you know what means what?

post-5809-0-00132000-1340449973_thumb.jp