VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p For Lower Back - Insight From My Examination

Rate this question

E-4 Marine

Question

Hi everyone,

I had a C&P for my lower back yesterday and wanted to provide some insight for those who might have an upcoming C&P for a lower back issue.

• The examiner came out to meet in the waiting area, where it appeared he was monitored how I got up from my chair and how I walked to the exam room.
  • Once we entered the exam room he looked at my file and asked the following questions: when did the injury first occur, last time I was seen for my back by the VA or outside clinician, and medications and procedures that I have had. He continued to read my chart and entered some things into the computer.
  • While reading my chart he asked that I remove my shoes and shirt in preparation for the exam.
  • He asked to me to face the wall away from him and he checked the alignment of my spine for abnormal curvatures. He then had me lay down on the examination table and asked that I perform alternate foot raises. I then sat up and he checked reflexes in my knees, ankles, and performed the Babinski test.
  • I was asked to stand and he explained that he will check my ROM (goniometer was available). I faced the wall; he checked my ROM lateral, front, and back, then he asked that I kept my hip straight and twist my back like I was reaching for something behind me and he measured that ROM. With every ROM he asked that “Is that the farthest you can go?” I replied yes sir.
  • He asked me to sit down on the examination table again he performed a pin prick test to see if I can feel the sensation of a pin pricking the sides of my legs. At this point he informed me that all ROM checks are done twice. So he had me stand up face the wall and perform the ROM movements again.
  • At that point I was told that the examination portion of the C&P was done and that I could get dressed and put my shirt and shoes back on.
  • I sat down on the chair and he asked me questions that appeared to be on the DBQ form (i.e. how do injury affect veterans daily living, job, how much weeks have I missed from work due to the injury, etc…)
  • He then ordered an x-ray of my back and said that I was done and accompanied me to the waiting area.

In general the appointment was about 50 minutes long must of which was spent answering questions. I would urge veterans to review the questions on Spine examination sheet and DBQ form; wear loose fitting clothes (especially shoes) that can be removed easily. The examiner monitors your every move even when it seems like they are distracted entering something in the computer. Know your ROMs (before the exam test your ROM so you know your limitations and be sure that you can repeat the ROM consistently, when asked). Lastly be polite to everyone and thank them for their time and care for veterans. I have to add that the C&P examiner was very nice and seemed like he cared.

Semper Fi,

Oli

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Fantastic posting...great feedback from all. This type of stuff can & will help others in the future. Well done!

LC