VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No More Walk-Ins At Our Cboc

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

Was at a specialty clinic at the VAMC last week and heard that they had eliminated walk-ins from their on-site clinic. All patients who can't wait a week or three for an appointment are instructed to go to the emergency room.

I mentioned this to my rural VA therapist and he told me that the local CBOC had eliminated walk-ins as well. The real kicker is that for us, the VA emergency room is 75 miles away. He said that if it was life-threatening, we should go to the local hospital ER who would then send us to the VAMC (again, 75 mile drive). He said he's seen the VA approve the private ER visit, but not the ambulance ride if you need that.

Either way, this stinks big time. A couple weeks ago I got stung by a bee and over a few days the swelling grew and grew. I had an appointment with my private PCP who gave me a shot and put me on strong anti-biotics and gave me a lecture for not coming sooner. (I'm not allergic to bees, and the stinger left behind showed it was a honey bee...)

Anyway, I wouldn't have dreamed of going to the emergency room over it, but if I'd had to wait a couple weeks, I could've been in trouble.

Done whining. Just makes me mad. Thought the word "clinic" sort of implied that walk-ins would be okay. Especially when it's a chore to get down to the VAMC... wait, they don't do walk-ins anymore, either.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

i agree with you! Fortunately I live right next door to a military hospital and if push comes to shove I can go there if I have too!

But this is not very fair to all vets! I thought a couple years back everyone was saying how these new clinics would help the rural vets?? Now if your right they can't use them??

Edited by stillhere