Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Va Answer

Charleese

Question

Hi everyone,

On yesterday, we took Berta's advice and my husband went on the VA website an inquired about the VA in Tazewell, Virginia. He wrote: The VA in Tazewell, Virginia no longer exist. I submitted a compensation claim to them in 1958. It is my understanding that they have been closed for about 30 or 40 years or more. My question is (1) Where would the VA in Tazewell have transfered their recrods to? and (2)What was the date of their actual closing? (3) I would like to know what is the next direction that I should take in locating this claim.

They forwarded his inquiry to the Regional Office in Hartford, CT, since we live in Connecticut.

This is the answer that Regional Office VA gave him:

We are currently working on your appeal.all records in the VA system or information of record on you should be in your claims folder in this office. when a claim is filed we search our entire system to locate any records on the veteran and then have them transferred to the office in charge of your claim processing. we have no information on Tazewell,VA office i will have a review of your records to see if we have any information from that office, you will be notified of our review.

Well this makes us think that: (1) they never tried or found out and know that VA in Tazewell no longer exist; (2) that they know no one knows who or wheere these files are now located; and (3) they denied his claim on June 17, 2006 without seeking this information.

My husband got a complete copy of his c-file in August 2005 and there was no information in that file on Tazewell or his 1958 claim. Matter of fact they wrote him several times to let him know that his 1958 claim was not in his claim flolder.

Through friends my husband is now in the process of contacting some of their relatives to give statements about the existence of Tazewell VA because they were serviced by them before they closed.

Please let us know what you think about all of the above.

Thanks!

Charleese

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jangrin

Charleese,

I'm not an expert on VA "speak", but their response sounds to me like they are sayng that they do not have any records at all from Tazewell, VA (not only your husbands but no one elses), unless they are actually in a file.

It also reads to me like they are going to check your c-file in Hartford, CT again for any records that might be from Tazewell. Thay are saying all your records SHOULD be in this file, however, they are NOT saying that all the records from Tazewell were sent to CT. I think you still need to find where the recrods from Tazewell were sent or stored.

Good Luck, Jangrin B)

Charleese,

I'm not an expert on VA "speak", but their response sounds to me like they are sayng that they do not have any records at all from Tazewell, VA (not only your husbands but no one elses), unless they are actually in a file.

It also reads to me like they are going to check your c-file in Hartford, CT again for any records that might be from Tazewell. Thay are saying all your records SHOULD be in this file, however, they are NOT saying that all the records from Tazewell were sent to CT. I think you still need to find where the recrods from Tazewell were sent or stored.

Good Luck, Jangrin B)

Thanks Jangrin. That's the way it sounds to us. We just can't imagine that they wouldn't have any records at all from Tazewell. If this is the case how would they resolve this claim or any claim from Tazewell. Does anyone here at hadit have any idea? Has this happen to anyone here?

Please guys answer this thread because out of 73 views only 1 answer. Come on I know you can do better than that.

Thanks!

Thanks Jangrin. That's the way it sounds to us. We just can't imagine that they wouldn't have any records at all from Tazewell. If this is the case how would they resolve this claim or any claim from Tazewell. Does anyone here at hadit have any idea? Has this happen to anyone here?

Please guys answer this thread because out of 73 views only 1 answer. Come on I know you can do better than that.

Thanks!

Sounds like to me that they won't or don't want to search for the records...Maybe it is too much work for them to search for them or maybe they don't know how to search for them!! just my opinion.

Railroader

• HadIt.com Elder

Charleese:

With the VARO and the DVA in general .... when there is a waiting period ... you can NEVER tell which way they are going and/or what they are going to do .... ????? B)

I used to go .. NUTS (more nuts than usual :blink: ) .. trying to figure them out ....and I just quit and had a lot more sucess with them that way too.

Even the info from the "VA 800 Number" is not always correct ... as most of us have learned the hard way.

... Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... B)

If this college was in existence in 1958- could he have possibly gone to Tazewell Hall with this application?

http://www.sw.edu/prospectstudent/veterans.htm

I certainly have looked on the web for any Tazewell VA-VAMC of anything- and still it only comes up like the ones in those BVA decision.

Could it have been with a County service officer at Tazewell?

The VA might wonder why a 1958 claim was not pursued.

I think many here -without posting a reply- did heed your plea and searched but I think we all are getting the same hits-

Many VA facilities are very old- our Bath VAMC was here since the Civil War-

At the VA home page they have put some historic info on these older VAs. They usually had hospital facilities as well as vet reps for claims right on the same grounds-

I didnt read all this at VA but this might have someone mentioned at VA Central Office who could at least possibly confirm the existence of this place for you-in 1958.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/vafeature/facility75.asp

Guest jstacy

Did you check with VA nearest the Tazewell location, Often the files and folders are transferred to the closest facility. That was before computers so there is a file somewhere collecting dust with your name on it.Contact the closest VA to the old Location and inquire at medical records. They may have to dig, But I believe they may be there.