VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lawyers

Rate this question

95bmp

Question

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think lawyers definitely have their place in claims, especially when all we manage to get is a lot of run arounds, but sometimes, the end result can be positive, even without an attorney. My experience in working my own claim, without any help from the VSO, except for filing papers that seemed to get lost in the big VA mail room, is that the evidence and law is what's going to make it happen. I was ready to sign with an attorney, but the new C&P exam scheduled and my return of the contract crossed, so to speak, so I decided to wait to see if it would make a difference for me, before I sent the contract. I'm so grateful that I didn't send it back. I also had misgivings about the contract's wording in that they would take the case, but if after getting the copy of C-file they decided that they could not help, after all, they could rescind the contract. I wasn't keen with that because I would have to let go of the POA which, although, not of much use to me, I still didn't want to be alone with it once it went to BVA. In an appeal, I could not find another organization that would handle a claim already on appeal when I tried that route. The point is that If your claim is still being processed at VARO, you may want to give it a chance to get through. If you do end up getting an attorney, please be sure you totally understand their contract. Best luck with your claim!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I noticed my SSDI claim was logically put together when I got a copy. My VA lawyer does SSDI work as well and he was shocked when he got my C-File. It was a total mess. The VA just threw stuff in their and it was in no kind of order. I got my SSDI claim accepted in about 3-4 months. It took years with the VA using junior grade medical students to do my C&P exams over the years. I think if you have a legal argument that is when you need the lawyer. You still need good evidence usually. You don't want to go pro se to the CAVC that's for sure. If your opponent is a lawyer then you need one. The relationship lawyers have with SSDI has become a money maker and job security for a lot of people. That sucks but when in Rome!

Can you give us the name of the lawyer you mentioned ?

I used a very good ex JAG lawyer, that was also a law school professor teaching VA law

And don't go with a Binder and Binder....

I think lawyers definitely have their place in claims, especially when all we manage to get is a lot of run arounds, but sometimes, the end result can be positive, even without an attorney. My experience in working my own claim, without any help from the VSO, except for filing papers that seemed to get lost in the big VA mail room, is that the evidence and law is what's going to make it happen. I was ready to sign with an attorney, but the new C&P exam scheduled and my return of the contract crossed, so to speak, so I decided to wait to see if it would make a difference for me, before I sent the contract. I'm so grateful that I didn't send it back. I also had misgivings about the contract's wording in that they would take the case, but if after getting the copy of C-file they decided that they could not help, after all, they could rescind the contract. I wasn't keen with that because I would have to let go of the POA which, although, not of much use to me, I still didn't want to be alone with it once it went to BVA. In an appeal, I could not find another organization that would handle a claim already on appeal when I tried that route. The point is that If your claim is still being processed at VARO, you may want to give it a chance to get through. If you do end up getting an attorney, please be sure you totally understand their contract. Best luck with your claim!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree on Binder & Binder, never use them!!! To me they take the easiest, slam dunk cases which makes their stats appear great. They denied my sister and she won with another atty, in about 10 months, about 3yrs of benefits. Just sayin' . . . (just thinkin' of ya, Larry, wherever ya are!)

pr

I use K&K, and have no issues with them. However, I did receive a letter from them asking if I would like to receive a dvd with my "C" file on it. So, of course I said yes, since I already had a hard copy. But, boy was I disappointed. Most of the documents that the VA sent K&K were when I went to school and other administrative type paperwork. I know a lot of medical paperwork is misssing, but how would K&K know this. They will soon.

Papa