VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Dr Won't Release My Mental Health Exam To Me Directly?

Rate this question

SolInvictus

Question

I went to the VA to retrieve my mental health exam from my C&P, they clerk worte the Dr and this was the repsonse.

The Dr said that she wouldn't release my mental health exam to me, she would only release it to my Primary care Dr and he can decide what to do....

Now someone correct me if I am wrong, But aren't those my personal information that I can acess at my leasure and can they really deny me acess to my own health records or put stipulations on it? Seems a bit odd to me and in fact kind of bothers me a lot that I can't see my own info with out supervision!

Any thoughts or advice on this issue would be a big help

Thank you all in advance,

Sgt Emmons

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, I believe they can do it, because it involves your mental health. They are afraid you might not understand something in there and it may push you over the edge. It's just to protect you (and them). jmo

pr

Yes, I believe they can do it, because it involves your mental health. They are afraid you might not understand something in there and it may push you over the edge. It's just to protect you (and them). jmo

pr

AHH well you have made a good point, thank you...not that I think any thing they could say would put me over the edge lol.. but I do see the need to be careful.

I had been told by the release of information clerk that, sometimes, certain records won't be released, mental health records being one of them. However, I have never been denied the records, despite what he'd said, including the C&P exam. However, in dealing with the NRPC for mental health records, I received a letter back from them that those records could not be released to me, but to a doctor. In that event, I had my PCP request the records, she got them for me, then simply released them to me. So, I'm thinking it must depend on location, doctor, or even agency. However, you can also ask for a direct copy from your VARO for the report. That will take a little longer to receive, but I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to get the report. I requested it from them, also, and received it, although it did take a couple of months...

I had been told by the release of information clerk that, sometimes, certain records won't be released, mental health records being one of them. However, I have never been denied the records, despite what he'd said, including the C&P exam. However, in dealing with the NRPC for mental health records, I received a letter back from them that those records could not be released to me, but to a doctor. In that event, I had my PCP request the records, she got them for me, then simply released them to me. So, I'm thinking it must depend on location, doctor, or even agency. However, you can also ask for a direct copy from your VARO for the report. That will take a little longer to receive, but I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to get the report. I requested it from them, also, and received it, although it did take a couple of months...

I have asked my primary Dr to realese them I will find out thurs if he will do it ....he is a nice guy so I suspect he will do it for me. thank you for the info

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have an outside Doc you can request that they be released to them. More than likely the Doc does not want you to see what was written rather than to protect your feelings. Just my opinion.

I went to the VA to retrieve my mental health exam from my C&P,

they clerk worte the Dr and this was the repsonse.

The Dr said that she wouldn't release my mental health exam to me, she would only release it to my Primary care Dr and he can decide what to do....

Now someone correct me if I am wrong, But aren't those my personal information that I can acess at my leasure and can they really deny me acess to my own health records or put stipulations on it? Seems a bit odd to me and in fact kind of bothers me a lot that I can't see my own info with out supervision!

Any thoughts or advice on this issue would be a big help

Thank you all in advance,

Sgt Emmons

Also, for the record VARO policy is that until a decision has been made on claim issue/s,

the C&P exam is owned by the VARO and is a pre-decisional document. A copy of your C&P examination

is not officially a part of your VAMC records.

This does not mean that a VARO or VAMC will not disregard policy at their discretion and provide a copy

but it does mean that legally, they can.

Mental health records of ANY type, fall under special consideration for authorization, from the mental health

provider/examiner.

If your PCP is as you say - "a nice guy" and feels it won't be harmful to you, then you might fall under

the category of mine I will call "lucky veteran" : - )

JMHO (and a little fact).