VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Dr Won't Release My Mental Health Exam To Me Directly?

Rate this question

SolInvictus

Question

I went to the VA to retrieve my mental health exam from my C&P, they clerk worte the Dr and this was the repsonse.

The Dr said that she wouldn't release my mental health exam to me, she would only release it to my Primary care Dr and he can decide what to do....

Now someone correct me if I am wrong, But aren't those my personal information that I can acess at my leasure and can they really deny me acess to my own health records or put stipulations on it? Seems a bit odd to me and in fact kind of bothers me a lot that I can't see my own info with out supervision!

Any thoughts or advice on this issue would be a big help

Thank you all in advance,

Sgt Emmons

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Carlie,

Can you post the reg for VA rule for mental health records? I can understand the rules the way it's been noted, but we have the ability to ask for a record to be amended, if found to be incorrect, or disagreed with. I am aware that it does not mean it will be done, but we do have that ability. So, if the records can't be made available, how would a veteran know whether it is correct? If you know where, within VA law it is written, I'd very much appreciate if you could share where I can find it at. Thank you!

Carlie,

Can you post the reg for VA rule for mental health records? I can understand the rules the way it's been noted, but we have the ability to ask for a record to be amended, if found to be incorrect, or disagreed with. I am aware that it does not mean it will be done, but we do have that ability. So, if the records can't be made available, how would a veteran know whether it is correct? If you know where, within VA law it is written, I'd very much appreciate if you could share where I can find it at. Thank you!

This is the best I can do for now.

http://www.kansascity.va.gov/patients/roi.asp

Release of Medical Records

Medical information can only be released with your written consent (or by power of attorney). The Release of Information (ROI) office located at the medical center provides this service. The release of all medical information (medical records, x-rays, disability forms, etc.) to another physician, provider or party must be accomplished through the Release of Information office.

*******The release of mental health records may involve additional information.********

Telephone: (816) 861-4700 extension 57569 or 57566.

I read where it is VA policy NOT to release C and P exam until AFTER a decision has been made. This being said, like other things at the VA, it is inconsistently enforced. I got my C and P exam a couple weeks after the exam by going to the ROI desk and asking. You can try the same thing.

You will have to sign a form. My VAMC hands you a few pages of medical information NOW, upon signing the form, but you have to wait in the mail for anything over about 20 pages.

Hi family, I've been following for a good while now but first time posting. Had a follow up tbi C&P at vamc per request of examiner as part of my appeal on August 28, 2012. Requested copies from ROI at DORN Columbia, SC and today was told to expect a letter in mail explaining denial of this basic request. Is this common? I similarly requested a PTSD copy from same office and had no problem receiving results within 2 weeks. I know this isn't very detailed but why would they deny me my right to know? My appeal is with the RO at the office adjacent to the vamc. I appreciate any insight and love the camaraderie here. Great to see vets stand together against the system without degrading each other.