VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Those That Asked A Lawyer To Represent Them, How Long Did It Take For Them To Agree To Represent You?

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

Those that asked a lawyer to represent them, how Long did it take for them to agree to represent you?

First of all most people know my story. I wil try to make this short and simple, if possible.

I am rated at 50% from 1997.

I am sick and am trying ot get the full 100%.

I had a VSO for about 3 years, but decided to get a lawyer. (please no discussion on why.. that is in other threads..).

I Contacted a well know Disabled Veteran Lawyer Firm, and the first step is that they get approval, from the Vet to get a copy of your Claims file, to see if they want to represent you, for your case. They then will exam your case to see at what stage your appeal is in. ANd, or course, see if it is winable, and they can make money.

Back to my question, which is:

How long does it take for them to order copies of your C-File, and determine if they are willing ot represent your VA Disability Claim.

(I know thy can go look at the file, before ordering copies, just to get a quick look before they order copies).

I just wanted to know if anyone knows about how long it takes for them to say yes/no.... after they look at your file and determine to represent you.

Note: I did not ask them that question. I suspect it might depend on how complicated your case is to determine if they will. I have thoughts about it, but so far I have only had a VSO a couple times in 10 years. I have never hired a lawyer for my Vet claims yet. This will be my first time to get a lawyer.

I won SSDI with no lawyer, and also won one issue out of three disabled veteran issues without a real lawyer, during the last 18 years. (I currently am meeting deadlines for appeal isssues while these changes are in process). That is why I ask this question. I just wanted to know if anyone that has used a lawyer has an answer to my one question. If you have not used a lawyer for getting Veterans Disability than you will not know the answer.

BTW, only one week has passed since my intial contact and approval for the lawyer for access to my files. I know that parts of the process can take very long periods of time,,, I am just wondering about other Vet's experience with this issue.

Thank you.

Edited by retiredat44

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I guess I wasn't clear enough,, I mean after you ask the Lawyer you seek out, to represent you, they look at your C-file, and then if they decide they can get your claim approved, and win (I hate using the word win..), they will ask you to sign a new POV to assign them as your representative... I am asking how long do they take to go look and decide whether or not to take your case and represent you? i am not asking for speed (of course that would be nice..) but I would just like to know other people's experiences,, so I can lay out some type of time-table... (example, was it in 2 weeks, 1 month, etc .. ???)

Chain of events-

)sick, disabled, want to go from 50% to 100%

)Got VSO

)Filed Vet D isability claims

)Denied

)Appeals and NOD's

)appeals denied

)DRO hearing

)Denied

)next steps after the last NOD was filed for the DRO hearing decsion denial, was another Form 9... (my VSO has been filing Form 9's for my case since 2009).

My next step:

)Fire VSO and get new lawyer (I must win at all cost !)

Question, how long does the Lawyer take to say yes, I will be your lawyer ??

, and represent you for your BVA..... (if they look at your C-File and say 'yes, we will represent you').

• HadIt.com Elder

I guess I wasn't clear enough,, I mean after you ask the Lawyer you seek out, to represent you, they look at your C-file, and then if they decide they can get your claim approved, and win (I hate using the word win..), they will ask you to sign a new POV to assign them as your representative... I am asking how long do they take to go look and decide whether or not to take your case and represent you? i am not asking for speed (of course that would be nice..) but I would just like to know other people's experiences,, so I can lay out some type of time-table... (example, was it in 2 weeks, 1 month, etc .. ???)

Chain of events-

)sick, disabled, want to go from 50% to 100%

)Got VSO

)Filed Vet D isability claims

)Denied

)Appeals and NOD's

)appeals denied

)DRO hearing

)Denied

)next steps after the last NOD was filed for the DRO hearing decsion denial, was another Form 9... (my VSO has been filing Form 9's for my case since 2009).

My next step:

)Fire VSO and get new lawyer (I must win at all cost !)

Question, how long does the Lawyer take to say yes, I will be your lawyer ??

, and represent you for your BVA..... (if they look at your C-File and say 'yes, we will represent you').

Bergmann & Moore, my attys, looked at my denial letter and agreed to take the case to the court. We did the contract thru the mail and it took 7-10 days to sign & seal the agreement. They felt based on the denial letter that the VA has most probably made some errors.

pr

When I felt I got low-balled on my rating, I looked up a NOVA lawyer near me. I went to his office with my letter of award and some of my records. We immediately agreed he would represent me, and he wrote up my NOD and ordered my entire c-file for me. When I was awarded 100% six months later, he told me that there was no charge, as most of the work was done for him. I realize that the lawyer I have is really an exception, and not everyone would have done so. In the meanwhile, I have had him representing me in trying to obtain SSDI benefits, and we have had a battle that has been going on for over four years.

So to answer your question - the lawyer agreed to represent me upon our first meeting; which is an advantage of hiring a local lawyer who handles VA cases.

When I felt I got low-balled on my rating, I looked up a NOVA lawyer near me. I went to his office with my letter of award and some of my records. We immediately agreed he would represent me, and he wrote up my NOD and ordered my entire c-file for me. When I was awarded 100% six months later, he told me that there was no charge, as most of the work was done for him. I realize that the lawyer I have is really an exception, and not everyone would have done so. In the meanwhile, I have had him representing me in trying to obtain SSDI benefits, and we have had a battle that has been going on for over four years.

So to answer your question - the lawyer agreed to represent me upon our first meeting; which is an advantage of hiring a local lawyer who handles VA cases.

my new lawyer (not yet my lawyer) is close by me,, and we are one hour from the regional VA office. I so far have only given them written permission ot access my C-file, so they can look to decide on me... I expect it might take another week before they say yes or no to represent me... That is the only thing I wondered and had questions about.. I suspect they will look at my C-file during this week.. and then they have to read a very big file, make sense of it, and decide...

I would rather go in person,, so I can do my talking in person,, I don't want any misunderstanding... now that I know what has happened in the past I can avoid any misunderstanding the next go-round..

my new lawyer (not yet my lawyer) is close by me,, and we are one hour from the regional VA office.

I so far have only given them written permission ot access my C-file, so they can look to decide on me...

I expect it might take another week before they say yes or no to represent me...

That is the only thing I wondered and had questions about..

I suspect they will look at my C-file during this week..

and then they have to read a very big file, make sense of it, and decide...

I would rather go in person,, so I can do my talking in person,, I don't want any misunderstanding... now that I know what has happened in the past I can avoid any misunderstanding the next go-round..

retired,

First off - I would say that there is ALREADY some "misunderstanding" between

you and your attorney.

For them to "access your C-file" or get a copy, will certainly take more than

a week or two.

You have more than one volume in your specific C-file.

No matter who the attorney is - they are not going to go page by page

through your C-file prior to making their "decision" to represent you, or not.

All they really need to see are some rating decision/s and know what it is you are appealing -

what specific issues are of record (SOC/SSOC's) and the evidence section in the rating decision.

This is their basic starting point to either decide yes or no in providing representation.

JMHO