VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Those That Asked A Lawyer To Represent Them, How Long Did It Take For Them To Agree To Represent You?

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

Those that asked a lawyer to represent them, how Long did it take for them to agree to represent you?

First of all most people know my story. I wil try to make this short and simple, if possible.

I am rated at 50% from 1997.

I am sick and am trying ot get the full 100%.

I had a VSO for about 3 years, but decided to get a lawyer. (please no discussion on why.. that is in other threads..).

I Contacted a well know Disabled Veteran Lawyer Firm, and the first step is that they get approval, from the Vet to get a copy of your Claims file, to see if they want to represent you, for your case. They then will exam your case to see at what stage your appeal is in. ANd, or course, see if it is winable, and they can make money.

Back to my question, which is:

How long does it take for them to order copies of your C-File, and determine if they are willing ot represent your VA Disability Claim.

(I know thy can go look at the file, before ordering copies, just to get a quick look before they order copies).

I just wanted to know if anyone knows about how long it takes for them to say yes/no.... after they look at your file and determine to represent you.

Note: I did not ask them that question. I suspect it might depend on how complicated your case is to determine if they will. I have thoughts about it, but so far I have only had a VSO a couple times in 10 years. I have never hired a lawyer for my Vet claims yet. This will be my first time to get a lawyer.

I won SSDI with no lawyer, and also won one issue out of three disabled veteran issues without a real lawyer, during the last 18 years. (I currently am meeting deadlines for appeal isssues while these changes are in process). That is why I ask this question. I just wanted to know if anyone that has used a lawyer has an answer to my one question. If you have not used a lawyer for getting Veterans Disability than you will not know the answer.

BTW, only one week has passed since my intial contact and approval for the lawyer for access to my files. I know that parts of the process can take very long periods of time,,, I am just wondering about other Vet's experience with this issue.

Thank you.

Edited by retiredat44

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It has been about 3 weeks since the new lawyers recieved my authorization to get copies of my C-File (in appeal at Regional VA), I have not heard yet a reply that they will take my case, so I can fire my VSO... I suppose they need about a month to read my C-file to decide to take a case or not...

thoughts anyone?

Is it about a month, more less? My case is pretty big, lots of papers..

thanx..

I would say the lawyer does not have a copy of your C-file yet

and they ARE NOT going to go thru your C-file page by page

to decide if they will take your case or not.

They will look over a couple of decisions/SOC's and such

and that will be the determining factor for whether they will

take your case or not.

Also of note is that at the BVA or Court level, there are specific rules

regarding the requirement that your representative be of record.

JMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

When I hired my lawyer for my CUE I sent him the decision and evidence for the CUE. He read that and then agreed to represent me. He also asked for a copy of my C-File. It only took a week or two to have him agree to represent me because the evidence and decision were just a few pages long.

• HadIt.com Elder

Living overseas is a choice I am sure the disabled veterans in all countries would like to have VA treatment for all of their medical issues, but they don't and if I understand the Philipines system they only treat SC medical issues, I have aalso read about a lot of retirees and disabled veterans that live in Mexico and still return to Texas or California for treatment in the VA system and use postal boxes to get their VA mail then the business location will hold the mail until they pick it up or they forward it to them where the veteran asks them to. Life is a series of choices and we have to deal with the cards that come with them

the lawyer that took my case took about a week to read my c file I had a copy of it and all of my denials and awards from the VA from 2002-2007 we weren't allowed to hire lawyers before July 2007 unless your case was at the CAVC level I was lucky that the lawyer took my case and was very ethical she refused any type of payment she wouldn't even take money for postage, copying etc she just saw that I was getting shafted by the VA and knew I should be SC for the cardiac issues she even fronted the cash for a IME she wanted in Jan 09 for the BVA hearing in Feb 09 600 dollars that was the only thing she let us reimburse her for when we got the retro in June 2009 normally lawyers won't spend their money for anything has been my past experience in dealing with lawyers to tell the truth I didn't have much respect for lawyers before I met her

she made me realize that their are some decent and ethical people still that not everyone is a crook, I am pretty sure you had to sign a power of attorney for them to get a copy of your C File I don't think the VA would release it to them without one I assume they are your reps now I would call the law firm and clarify it

Large C files are taking the backlogged VA a lot of time to copy.

A lawyer only needs, as Carlie and others said here, in most cases, a copy of the last SOC (s), to include the evidence list, copy of the C & P exam , copies of any IMOs you had, and probably would do what the BVA does first- read over the VCAA letter carefully, in order to determine whether they would take the case or not.

It is basically the same as what a vet rep would do.Vet reps have no time to thoroughly read nor room in their offices to store C file copies.

They dont need the entire record except in unusual cases, to determine the next step.

still not sure if my lawyer got a copy of my c-file,, it's been three weeks since I gave them a signed release form...

it will be 4 weeks this coming week.. I just need them to say they accept being my lawyer, which would mean they believe in my claim being a winner..

I think I would continue shopping for a lawyer because if this lawyer has stated that he/she will make a decision about accepting your claim when they review your c file. Presently, I believe that getting a copy of your c file is taking anywhere from 6 months to a year and if they are saying that it is going to take only weeks to get the copy. I would look elsewhere for representation.