VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Those That Asked A Lawyer To Represent Them, How Long Did It Take For Them To Agree To Represent You?

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

Those that asked a lawyer to represent them, how Long did it take for them to agree to represent you?

First of all most people know my story. I wil try to make this short and simple, if possible.

I am rated at 50% from 1997.

I am sick and am trying ot get the full 100%.

I had a VSO for about 3 years, but decided to get a lawyer. (please no discussion on why.. that is in other threads..).

I Contacted a well know Disabled Veteran Lawyer Firm, and the first step is that they get approval, from the Vet to get a copy of your Claims file, to see if they want to represent you, for your case. They then will exam your case to see at what stage your appeal is in. ANd, or course, see if it is winable, and they can make money.

Back to my question, which is:

How long does it take for them to order copies of your C-File, and determine if they are willing ot represent your VA Disability Claim.

(I know thy can go look at the file, before ordering copies, just to get a quick look before they order copies).

I just wanted to know if anyone knows about how long it takes for them to say yes/no.... after they look at your file and determine to represent you.

Note: I did not ask them that question. I suspect it might depend on how complicated your case is to determine if they will. I have thoughts about it, but so far I have only had a VSO a couple times in 10 years. I have never hired a lawyer for my Vet claims yet. This will be my first time to get a lawyer.

I won SSDI with no lawyer, and also won one issue out of three disabled veteran issues without a real lawyer, during the last 18 years. (I currently am meeting deadlines for appeal isssues while these changes are in process). That is why I ask this question. I just wanted to know if anyone that has used a lawyer has an answer to my one question. If you have not used a lawyer for getting Veterans Disability than you will not know the answer.

BTW, only one week has passed since my intial contact and approval for the lawyer for access to my files. I know that parts of the process can take very long periods of time,,, I am just wondering about other Vet's experience with this issue.

Thank you.

Edited by retiredat44

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think I would continue shopping for a lawyer because if this lawyer has stated that he/she will make a decision about accepting your claim when they review your c file. Presently, I believe that getting a copy of your c file is taking anywhere from 6 months to a year and if they are saying that it is going to take only weeks to get the copy. I would look elsewhere for representation.

they never told me how long it will take to look. I was just wondering how long does it take.. weeks, months, for them to get copies, review (I have a lot of papers..).. what is normal for them to get, and look at, and decide.. i think I asked before.. but never really got a clear answer,,,,,, so maybe it can take a couple months for a lawyer to look and decide to take a case?

meanwhile, The American Legion remains my VSO..

I and my wife, had decided I would feel much better with a full lawyer, the Americna Legion office, at least mine, has 3 people, and 15,000 cases.. not enough resources and not as much incentive to win cases.. The lawyer fights for money...

they never told me how long it will take to look. I was just wondering how long does it take.. weeks, months, for them to get copies, review (I have a lot of papers..).. what is normal for them to get, and look at, and decide.. i think I asked before.. but never really got a clear answer,,,,,, so maybe it can take a couple months for a lawyer to look and decide to take a case?

meanwhile, The American Legion remains my VSO..

I and my wife, had decided I would feel much better with a full lawyer, the Americna Legion office, at least mine, has 3 people, and 15,000 cases.. not enough resources and not as much incentive to win cases.. The lawyer fights for money...

In my opinion it will take 6 months to a year for a reply. Therefore, what would it hurt if you kept shopping for an another lawyer in the meantime.

I would contact Bergmann and Moore if I were you. They are a click away at our main forum page.

Personally, based on what you posted here Steve, over the years I think they could assess your claim with copies of your SSOCs. Of course they would then need to obtain your medical records and C file at some point.

You have a complex claim but I think B & M would see what I have seen in what you have attached here from the VA,and take your case.

Also I suggest to send a copy of this from my June 27th reply at hadit to B & M in email if you contact them and if they have any questions B & M knows how to contact me. either via Jerrel Cook (SVR) or via their law clerk, David. I have expertise in 1151 issues and can make a strong argument that I feel they could help you here.

This was one of my many replies, and I suggest sending this to B & M if you contact them.

“Carlie- the prime disability of Necrotizing pancreatitis has never been claimed.

I studied as much as I could find years ago on this disability. It is not the same as a generic claim for chronic pancreatitis.

Not the same thing at all.It can be fatal as Retiredat44 has told us.

In the partial SOC Retriredat44 posted here years at hadit it stated:

“The VA examination shows a diagnosis of status post necrotizing pancreatitis secondary

to endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography with residual chronic pancreatitis. “

----------------------------------------------------------

This excerpt from a lawyer's web site says:

“Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) remains the most common cause of iatrogenic pancreatitis [1]. Studies have shown post-ERCP complications were responsible for greater than 65 percent of malpractice claims [2, 3]. “

http://americanmedic...ctice-case.html

Th term “Iatrogenic”means caused by a doctor or medical procedure.”

And you said recently at hadit-your doctor confirmed that the VA caused the necrotizing pancreatitis.

I hope this other lawyer is fully accredited with the VA

And I do agree with hurryupandwait -to shop around and consider emailing B & M at their link at hadit.

The backlog of VA has affected IMO doctors like Dr. Bash as well as any lawyers,I am sure.

But lawyers can often assess a VA claim often by just reading a few documents from the VA,(we do that here all the time)and then if they take the claim they will gather all other info and records they need.

I am stunned that AL never approached this as a 1151 issue,

particularly after reading the partial SOC you had posted here.

1151 claims do not mean your VA medical care will be altered in any negative way. I actually had medical treatment from the same VAMC that had malpracticed on my husband. Of course things had changed radically there in the years since the FTCA matter,and his death and the same VAMC provided superb appropriate medical care to me which I believe, ,since my FTCA case, they have given to every veteran and CHAMPVA dependent that they deal with now.

last month I sent a request to B&M, and sent them a copy of my SOC, never heard a word back yet... I also sent my soc to another lawyer for Vets close to me in San Diego...

This morning I filed an 1151... and gave a copy to my VSO, my VSO is also filing some papers, asking why they ignored evidence...

my VSO got wind of a request for my C-File, I told her that I had someone looking into helping me.... but didn't say who... that was one of the lawyers I contacted for Vets... and also, I never told her that you guys her , from this website help me with ideas such as the 1151. I just said I know some people who have ideas and experience on filing claims and it was suggested I do an 1151. She said ok..... I am happy to file the 1151... as with all the surgeries and illlnesses I have had, I have plenty of ammo to work with to win...

Edited by retiredat44

retired,

It would have been good to post exactly what and how you were filing the 1151 -

here -

first -

so those with experience could provide some guidance for you on the wording

you use.

There's easy, simple ways to do it and there are convoluted ways to do it.

I sure hope you wrote it up the simple way as it does not take much to

muddy up the water.

JMHO

sorry,, it' done, at least I ran it through my vso, and got her opinion before I turned it in...

I told them exactly all of the health issues from my time in service, the treatments, and the treatments and surgeries up until now...

I listed the surgeries that went from years of complaints of pain to having diseases, some that are often fatal with no cure...

from asking for help, and years passing while cysts grew up to 5 inches, while the VA stood by and refused to investigate with the proper tools, only to find out that I wasn't making up stories, I actually had things growing inside me.. failed surgeries.... and new diseases with failed surgeries...

I reminded them about my command going against doctors orders and forcing me to work with chemicals, and ignoring the evidence again and again..

my VSO also helped write some new support documents asking why they contune to ignore evidence that has been presented... she asked who wrote my first claim, and I told her, my first vso didn't list all the evidence, and every time I write a claim paper I ask why my evidence as presented at the hearing is not listed in the decisions and ignored, again, and again..... she looked and finally figured out the evidence was ignored.. it took her long enough..

my vso liked my IMO, all, except the last bit on the summary page, she was unhappy with the toxicolgist, and the way the IMO was worded... I am unable to do a damned thing about my IMO.... if I had money I would go get more..

One of my big problems is I try to explain my jobs I held and explain all the chemicals, and people just don't get it.... the decisions only list Jet Fuel.. they ignore and never show the leaded gasoline, diesel fuel, and trichloroethylene ,, everyone thinks the last chmical was part of the list of fuels, it is not, it is a cleaning solvent.. the VSO is totally confused and doesn't understand these are all carcinigens..

I just happen to be one of those people who when they come in contact with any of these my body swells up and turns red..

my vso told me she has one other case where some GI has a claim with Jet Fuel.. but she didn't say much excpet it is on appeal too,, the big difference is,, my daily contact was with 4 chemicals.. often all in the same day... where as when most people get sick and claim jet fuel got them sick, that was the only chemical and they were exposed from the engines on aircraft,, my exposure was from transfer, and pumping it through hand help pumps, while splashing on me and soaking me.. other wise, these people I have helping me have no clue,,, and the VA claims people are being totally dishonest and not reading the eidence, my VSO finally cuaght on and sees it being ignored,, which got her writing some new evidence papers asking the claims people to explain why they ignred most of the evidence... after several years of me complaining they ignored evidence the vso finally understood... why it tioook so frakkin long I have no clue I bitterly complained about the evidence not listed int he decisions...

I wish someone would bust that office wide open for being liars and crooks while ignoring evidence that was given under oath...

Anyone out there that actually cares about sick GI's and crooks at the VA ???