VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting A 2Nd Copy Of C File

Rate this question

PainterBK

Question

Hello,

Now that I received a decision on my claim I would like to get a copy of my C file (my 2nd).

I have heard there is a $25 fee. Do I include a check with my request & if so who do I make

the check out to.

Thank You,

Bob K

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello,

Now that I received a decision on my claim I would like to get a copy of my C file (my 2nd).

I have heard there is a $25 fee. Do I include a check with my request & if so who do I make

the check out to.

Thank You,

Bob K

Bob - You can request an updated copy, which includes anything since the first request was sent, for free or you can request a complete copy, which they charge by the page for, something like 25 cents per page. If your file is large, they may offer to allow you to do the copying, under their "watchful eye," (so you don't add evidence) for free also, thereby freeing up an employee for most of the time needed to do the copying. No check is needed w/your request but they may request one once they've decided what the cost might be.

pr

That was my experience too- the first C file copy was free,in 2002-2003 ? and then as my issues accumulated ,they told me they need about 130 bucks to copy it all again with the new stuff.

Then I withdrew the C file request and asked them to just hold the check in the c file as I didnt want any more time added to my claim.

I actually dont recall if they still have it or whether they cashed it ,I should look into that but I am so burned out from dealing with my RO I just havent pursued it at all.

Actually my C file in the past was very revealing ! The stuff they said never existed at all was right there at the bottom of the stack.

And the 1151 claim my husband sent them 6 months before he died was in my C file but the Buffalo RO said he had never filed this claim.

The Phila Nehmer VARO,for the first time since he sent it in 1994, acknowledged receipt of that claim and then could handle my CUE claim, contingent on his 1994 1151 claim which was in the rating board the same day he died.

Berta,

I have found the same. One QTC exam noted I have bi-lateral neuropathy and they never told me and in another the C&P examiner edited what the radiologist wrote in the impression section of the xrays and MRIs. They purposely took out the word lumbar, because that is what I was claiming. I'll have my day in court with them soon!

• HadIt.com Elder

That was my experience too- the first C file copy was free,in 2002-2003 ? and then as my issues accumulated ,they told me they need about 130 bucks to copy it all again with the new stuff.

Then I withdrew the C file request and asked them to just hold the check in the c file as I didnt want any more time added to my claim.

I actually dont recall if they still have it or whether they cashed it ,I should look into that but I am so burned out from dealing with my RO I just havent pursued it at all.

Actually my C file in the past was very revealing ! The stuff they said never existed at all was right there at the bottom of the stack.

And the 1151 claim my husband sent them 6 months before he died was in my C file but the Buffalo RO said he had never filed this claim.

The Phila Nehmer VARO,for the first time since he sent it in 1994, acknowledged receipt of that claim and then could handle my CUE claim, contingent on his 1994 1151 claim which was in the rating board the same day he died.

Wait a minute!

As I remember, current policy is to give you a second copy free under a set of conditions that include "current" evidence, etc.

If the copy did not include the evidence they had (and said they didn't) then you did not get a complete copy in the first place.

I wonder if that might be construed in some way to favor a claim that might have otherwise be "dead"?

In any event, the past behavior of the VA has been poor in this area. When you get a file copy that includes multiple blank pages,

you have to wonder why. Both I and my lawyer have gotten more than one copy free.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta,

I have found the same. One QTC exam noted I have bi-lateral neuropathy and they never told me and in another the C&P examiner edited what the radiologist wrote in the impression section of the xrays and MRIs. They purposely took out the word lumbar, because that is what I was claiming. I'll have my day in court with them soon!

When the VA does things like this, I can't help but think it's an attempt to defraud a veteran that in all fairness, somehow should be gotten into a federal district court.