VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Missed My Thyroid For 3 Years

Rate this question

littledude

Question

My Thyroid T3 count has been at a 60-180 and 1.5 - 4.2 instead of a 80-180 and a 2.3 - 4.2 I have been telling them I was tired dont feel right, myblood pressure was rising and then dropping. I was told to read self esteem books, nothing is wrong with me and now I'm being ignored or my emails get sent to my doctor. What can I do about this? I saw 3 advocates and they seem to not care or want to keep things onthe downlow, they don't know about this. i just found out today, so I htink they thought I had a mood disorder since thats what it says in my records. I spent 3 years sleeping 14hour days, tired as hell. I look into my test results for this week and the past 2 years . online I looke dup the numbers and what they mean and find out I have hypothyroidisum. what can I do about this? do I claim this? the reason why is, i'm affraid the vA doesnt help me and I'm stuck paying for this, when I should be under there care and have been and they never noticed this for 3 years. anybody have any honest advice ?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

I fought VA for 12 years - they continuously denied that my hypothyroid, which got worse on active duty in Iraq (Balad Air Base - burn pits) was service connected. Got a 0% rating (I was on a LOT of meds - totally insane to not at least be 10%).

Do not give up on this! Also, if they will not treat you, look into infrared light therapy for hypothyroid.

If hypothyroidism is service connected, this is the way VA rates it:

Hypothyroidism is rated under 38 C.F.R. § 4.119, Diagnostic Code

7903. A rating of 10 percent is applied with evidence of

fatigability, or when continuous medication is required for

control. A rating of 30 percent is applied with evidence of

fatigability, constipation, and mental sluggishness. A rating of

60 percent is applied with evidence of muscular weakness, mental

disturbance, and weight gain. A rating of 100 percent is applied

with evidence of cold intolerance, muscular weakness,

cardiovascular involvement, mental disturbance (dementia, slowing

of thought, depression), bradycardia (less than 60 beats per

minute), and sleepiness. 38 C.F.R. § 4.119, Diagnostic Code 7903

(2009).

If yo feel they failed to diagnosis and treat your hypothyroidism in time and you now have a ratable level of at least10 % ,with evidence that falls into the above rating schedule, you can file a Section 1151 claim (as explained in our FTCA/1151 forum here)

You will need medical evidence in the form of an IMO Independent medical opinion) to support the claim.

I didnt see your T 4 values here and thyroid test results depend on many additional factors.

It does concern me here, as a 1151er, that it appears VA has misdiagnosed you with a mood disorder, that could in fact resulted from,or medically masked, the potential hyperthyroidism.

I strongly suggest you obtain a vet rep to discuss the potential here under 1151.

Do you have any SC disability that these T3 values could be stemming from?

Any SC meds that could cause the T 3 and the symptoms you have?

I certainly commend you for being proactive enough to study your VA medical records.There are many excellent medical sources on the net that help internet medical tests results and blood chem reports.

I went over my husband med recs countless times and did a lot of intensive study to find out they(VA) killed him with piss poor medical care.

While the VA saves lives every day, they also make medical errors.

Still- I feel; you need to get in touch with a good vet rep to go over this for a potential 1151 claim and also I feel you need to get an opinion from a real doctor.

While this is a treatable condition (the thyroid problem) it concerns me that they might have medicated you incorrectly for a mood disorder that you might not even have and that should be included in any 1151 claim you file, if that med or the Mood disorder treatment compounded your thyroid problems.

Every vet and actual every American should get their med recs, take the time to review them carefully and question right away anything that seems wrong.

I reopened my husband's 1151 after he died.

I still recall vividly that one of our former Presidents ,weeks after my husband filed his 1151 claim, in a speech, said the VA health care system was the best in the world.My husband immediately started to consider withdrawing his 1151 claim.

Until I reminded him this President had to be taught how to salute and had never dealt with the VA medical system at all.

Malpractice and medical negligence has a paper trail.

If a doctor buggers one diagnosis, more misdiagnosis will follow.

We have lots of 1151 info here in our FTCA/1151 forum.

Edited by Berta