VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Osteoperosis In Gulf Vets

Rate this question

bergin c/o

Question

is there any gulf vets out there with osteoperosis . got it in spine and hips . i am trying to see if it is conected to gws. and if it is worth putting in a claim . although i am not sure on what to put in for . i have an appeal for hip arthritis pending at bva

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I don't think there is anything (yet) in the presumptives for GWI that would allow you to claim osteoporosis.

However, Dr. Beatrice Golomb at UCSD reported recently that she has found that GWV's consistently showed Vitamin D deficiency and has requested funding to further study it in GWV's.. My doctor found I had Vitamin D deficiency and I've been on supplements ever since. Vitamin D supplements have also been shown to help in reducing muscular pain and depression, both usual suspects in GWI.

It will take you about 2 seconds of looking over a google search to learn that Vitamin D, or lack thereof, is a direct contributor to osteoporosis. Vitamin D deficiency also leads to tooth decay. I've had teeth rotting out of my head faster than a tweaker smoking 10 bowls a day. Now that I've been on supplements for a year my tooth decay issues have slowed dramatically.

Without definitive research showing that Vitamin D deficiency is connected, or presumed to be connected, to service in the Gulf, I believe we will be out of luck on winning any claims in that regard.

Hell, they can't get the current presumptives straight at BVA. Imagine the confusion when they try to figure out claims connected to a vitamin deficiency. I'd pay money to see that goat show!

Edited by sleeper692

"i have an appeal for hip arthritis pending at bva "

Athritis is a chronic presumptive SC condition if it manifests itself to at least 10% disabling within one year after service.

Did you have medical evidence to warrant application of this regulation when VA denied your claim?

http://ecfr.gpoacces....1.1.4.1.66.117

Osteoporosis is now presumptive for POWs who fit into the regulation criteria:

https://www.federalr...risoners-of-war

but it is not presumptive for any other vets at this point, Sleeper is correct.

Although my bone scan showed minimal osteoporosis, and my doctor recommended no treatment needed, I take a half dose of Vitamin D III supplement every day as preventive medicine.

They say many Americans have a Vitamin D deficiency and it could lead to problems down the road if not supplemented.

I think if you have evidence in your SMRs or within that first year after discharge of arthritis at a ratable level, that would be a strong claim to pursue and I wonder if osteoporosis could be a disability aggravated by or secondary to the arthritis if the osteoporosis gets to a ratable level.

When VA says 'ratable level' they mean that per the VA Schedule of Ratings, the rating is at least at 10%.

However a SC Zero rating,in time, could become a ratable SC for comp, so even a "0" SC rating for something is far better then a "0" NSC rating.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Hate to sound dumb but is there a link to tendonitus and arthritis

Same here I've been severely Vitamin D Deficient for the last 4 years and I retired from the USAF in Sept 2010 with numerious trips to the Middle East 1990's to 2007. I've been on 5,000 IU daily of Vitamin D3 just to try and keep it just above the low limit. Even though I had worked outside all my life on the flightline on aircraft and still spend alot of time out in the sun especially here in sunny AZ it makes you wonder GWI .