VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Quest To Prove Tbi

Rate this question

killemall

Question

Like many of you I spend way to much time thinking about this stuff but I decided to keep an updated logg of my progress and what better place to keep it than here.

Back in 98 while in basic training I was knocked unconcious when a fellow recruit hit me in the head from behind by swinging butt stock of his m16 like a batt. I was unconcious for nine hours and awakened at 3 am when I was found in the woods.

The drill sgts swept it under the rug and was simply labeled as a training accident.

Fast forward 14 years and I have many problems.

Sever loss of hearing

Loss of balance

Slurred speech

Numbness in left facial area with drooling

Decreased memory

It was all a lil too much and I contacted the suicide hotline.

In the middle of may 2012 I was seen by a phych and after describeing my symptoms the doc asked if I ever had an head injury to which I described the above.

A week later I went to intake were I was recommended to go through neurology.

The first week of june I was seen by my provider. I was given a cat scan wich came back clean.

My next apointment was the beginning of july 2012 with my provider. I am now scheduled for the following in the month of July 2012

Neurology

Neuneurology

Mri

Sleep apnea

Ill update the results of the appointmentments

I've never gotten a letter for C&P though, how can I request one?

A decision maker or VSR at your VARO is who will request a C&P exam, if they feel your

claim has enough merit and the evidence of record is insufficient for rating purposes.

More info can be found at the following link :

38 CFR - 3.159 and 3.326

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=4cfddfb5d35887492a4e9767db4456db&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title38/38cfr3_main_02.tpl

killemall,

Be sure to also check your 201 file thoroughly to see if this "training accident"

was written down and of record.

I feel that if not - at a minimum, since there is no record of the injury

a buddy statement from someone that VBA can verify was

where you were,when you were, at the time the injury took place,

will be absolutely necessary to support this claim issue,even if TBI is diagnosed.

I'm really not even sure at all that they will be able to diagnose it or provide

a nexus with full medical rationale to active duty, if there is absolutely nothing

of record to support it.

When a claim issue relates to an undocumented injury, supported solely by

way of verbal history as stated by veteran,

(unless you are a combat vet or unless there is a formal finding indicating that

despite all efforts to secure your SMR's/STR's, no records available), I do not

see that a decision maker will have a heighten duty for application of the BOD.

Not trying to be a nay-sayer but just preparing you for a long road ahead on this one, and give you a heads up on what a decision maker will be looking for.

What condition/s is your current 40 percent SC for ?

JMHO

I got stitches in my face and its labled in my records as a training accident.

Im sc for hearing loss and tinitus

I got stitches in my face and its labled in my records as a training accident.

Im sc for hearing loss and tinitus

Stitches in your face on active duty during basic should be evidenced in your SMR's.

The Rating Decision that granted Hearing Loss and Tinnitus as SC'd, states

_______ what_________ in the Reasons and Bases Section, to support the grant

of SC ?

Killemall, I'm in about the same situation as you are. I had a mtbi during a night training exercise while serving in Germany in 1966. I was taken to the dispensary for stitches in my rt lower chin. That is the only thing written up in my SMR's. The Dr. was pissed about being awakened at 1:00 AM and I was in a daze and didn't say anything to him. Anyway, I filed a claim in 2009, and it was denied, I filed a NOD and it was just denied again in March 2012 after I got an IMO from a private Dr. Problem is I don't have enough documentation & I don't remember the name of the guy that came along and helped me up. I always answered "NO" when asked did you lose consciencness, but the truth is I don't know. I don't remember the ride back to Post which would have taken 30-45 minutes. If I can help you with anything just write me here and I will be glad to assist you.

Lugnut aks Buddy