VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pstd Imo Letter -- Doctor Can't Write Decent Letter. Aleady Sunk $1000 Into This...

Rate this question

DrBarbae

Question

Hello all,

First post here. I have a long story to start with that leads up to some simple questions...

I am SC'd 30% for PTSD, but have filed a NOD. To bolster that NOD with new evidence, I am paying out of pocket for an Independent Medical Opinion (IMO). I chose a doctor than had experience with forensic psychology that had an impressive background based on my Internet research. Well, I converse with him back and forth through email a few times, told him I wanted to meet him for treatment, psychometrics, examinations, etc, then get a report for the VA as a result of our meeting. I asked if he was familiar with the right verbiage to "answer the mail" for the VA, and he said yes; he would charge me $1000 for it all. Well, fast forward a few week later, I have the appointment, pay him the $1000, and now I have the report.

In short, the report does not answer the mail (I explain why in a bit), and I am not that certain that he would be capable of putting the report with the right verbiage, even if I told him what was needed. It's a lot like asking a kindergartner to write a doctoral thesis---it is just not possible. First of all, my last name is inconsistently spelled throughout the report, and the grammar is terrible. The details I provided are vague or missing, especially with what I painfully shared regarding my main PTSD stressor. When asked if I had any thoughts of suicidal ideation, I admitted I had thought of a plan, but have never attempted it (in the report, it mentions I denied any suicidal ideation). I think you all get the picture---there is no beef to this report to make it supportive of any case I would make, whether that my PTSD has gotten better, worse, or stayed the same. Ineed the professional product I paid for if I want to get anywhere with the VA.

Because of this, the only practical way of moving forward with this is if I write the letter, and he sign it. The doctor is likely amenable to this based on some of the conversation we had before I left the office. Thus, I have retyped his letter, and put in the details that need to be there. This feels quite awkward, and is a situation I did not expect or want to find myself in. Since I have already sunk $1000 into this and several weeks of my time, I don't want to start over. I just want to get this behind me and not play this back-and-forth game with the VA for years or decades like my dad did. I just want an effective letter that is quite clear about the findings and submit my new evidence.

Ok....so now the questions:

Is this "letter writing" on behalf of doctors that don't know how to write for the VA common by vets that are gathering new evidence to support a claim?

Is the following quoted statement at the end of the letter with the diagnosis normal? "The overall evidentiary record shows the severity of the patient's disability most closely approximates the criteria for 100% disability as listed in 38 CFR § 4.130-2".

What should I do in this situation? Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Broncovet, I liked your candid feedback on the letter. I'll heed your advice and won't send it in.

I just love it though...this is just one more thing to get pissed off about: If you are sullen and show your true mood during the appointment, there's the insinuation that you're exaggerating...all while paying for that privilege. If I put on a happy face (in spite of not being happy), there would never be the insinuation that I am exaggerating being normal. So much for help with coping!!!

"His self-description as disturbed required further consideration because he claimed many more symptoms than most patients do. Two likely possibilities require further evaluation. It is possible that he overstated his symptoms as a result stress and the need to seek a great deal of attention for his problems."

Effectively he just told the VA that you are exaggerating in the hopes of getting a higher rating.

DO NOT send this report in because it will be part of you C-File FOREVER!!!!! and VA will use it time and again to deny you in the future even when you have great evidence.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are able to work the best you can do is 30% to 50% but at least you have the door open now and if you can't work you can get it raised. I personally think that you could still get it to 50%.

Finally I think your working had more to do with your rating than the Doc's IMO