VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fers, Owcp, Ssi And Such....

Rate this question

StreetWalker

Question

Here's the background.

I'm a current USPS letter carrier. I've got over 20 years of Federal Service. I'm in FERS. I'm close to the point where I'm going to have to find another way to support my family.

I'm SC on my lower back and it just keeps getting worse. I know some of you here have been down this path.

As I see it the first thing I should do is file a claim with OWCP on the grounds that walking 10 miles per day has aggravated my back. Assuming I can get that approved that will get me some income. Then when the pain gets so bad I file for SSI and TDIU since I don't think I'll ever be able to get rated 100%.

I'm currently at 20% back, 10% tinnitus, 0% hearing loss. I've got a claim in the final stages for an increase in the back and stomach as a secondary condition.

As soon as this claim is settled I'm filing for the depression, radiculopathy in both legs, neuropathy in the left leg and erectile dysfunction.

I've also got a upcoming sleep study for sleep apnea. It's my understanding that sleep apnea is linked to both chronic pain and depression. If I do indeed have sleep apnea I'll also file for that.

Assuming that the BVA treats me well with the current claim and I don't have to appeal it I may also be filing for another increase for my back as it's gotten much worse since the last C&P a year ago. I'm assuming that I can file another claim this quickly for my back.

So, if you've gotten this far do you have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I retired from the USPS when I was 51. The pain and depression had gotten to be too much for me. This is a decision you have to make for yourself before the feds make it for you. OPM is easy to get. SSDI and TDIU are a little harder. Can you survive on OPM for at least a year with your savings? I am pretty sure you will be able to get IU but it takes time. If you go out on OWCP you will end up owing money when you get approved by the VA for TDIU if you have retro from the VA.

John999,

I've pretty much made up my mind. I'm going to call the Union today and talk with them. We've got enough in savings to carry us through at least a year. Combined with my VA Comp better than a year. If OPM comes through in any normal amount of time we would be fine.

OWCP is really not an option since the VA pays for the back.

Thanks.

Happy to hear of your increase, StreetWalker, and also appreciate your military and postal service.

I empathize with your pain.

Figure SSDI could take 2 years with denials and attorney action, unless you clearly meet one of the ailments listed in the Blue Book http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/ (Check Part A and Part B)

Excellent info here on preparing your SSDI claim: http://www.howtoasse...ms.com/ssd.html

Realize that the VA and others feds don't care how you feel; they only care about the legal case you have on paper and how they can beat it.

Unfortunately, many of us don't realize until hindsight that a process that we treated as just a formality is actually a legal case.

The time invested in preparing your SSDI case can save months/years of living in poverty; do it like your Quality Of Life depends on it.

Good luck! smile.png

I've got DDD with radiculopathy and radiculitis of the lower left leg. Also depression.

Side effects of medication is another big one. Almost everything I take causes tiredness or has warnings about driving while taking.

After working for the USPS for 20 years I know all too well that they don't care about the person. The paperwork is EVERYTHING.

• HadIt.com Elder

Streetwalker

If you can get OPM, TDIU and SSDI you can make it. You will be taking home more than you did as a postal worker. I got OPM then SSDI and after about a year TDIU. I was already rated 70%, but the VA dickered with my rating and I had to appeal on the TDIU. I had just over 20 years of service. You will have your OPM offset by 60% of your SSDI until you reach age 62. I waited until I got fired so it was unpleasent.

John

Streetwalker

If you can get OPM, TDIU and SSDI you can make it. You will be taking home more than you did as a postal worker. I got OPM then SSDI and after about a year TDIU. I was already rated 70%, but the VA dickered with my rating and I had to appeal on the TDIU. I had just over 20 years of service. You will have your OPM offset by 60% of your SSDI until you reach age 62. I waited until I got fired so it was unpleasent.

John

Hoping to avoid the whole getting fired thing. It's the NALC national convention this week so I need to wait till next week to talk to the union about this.