VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fers, Owcp, Ssi And Such....

Rate this question

StreetWalker

Question

Here's the background.

I'm a current USPS letter carrier. I've got over 20 years of Federal Service. I'm in FERS. I'm close to the point where I'm going to have to find another way to support my family.

I'm SC on my lower back and it just keeps getting worse. I know some of you here have been down this path.

As I see it the first thing I should do is file a claim with OWCP on the grounds that walking 10 miles per day has aggravated my back. Assuming I can get that approved that will get me some income. Then when the pain gets so bad I file for SSI and TDIU since I don't think I'll ever be able to get rated 100%.

I'm currently at 20% back, 10% tinnitus, 0% hearing loss. I've got a claim in the final stages for an increase in the back and stomach as a secondary condition.

As soon as this claim is settled I'm filing for the depression, radiculopathy in both legs, neuropathy in the left leg and erectile dysfunction.

I've also got a upcoming sleep study for sleep apnea. It's my understanding that sleep apnea is linked to both chronic pain and depression. If I do indeed have sleep apnea I'll also file for that.

Assuming that the BVA treats me well with the current claim and I don't have to appeal it I may also be filing for another increase for my back as it's gotten much worse since the last C&P a year ago. I'm assuming that I can file another claim this quickly for my back.

So, if you've gotten this far do you have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Streewalker,

Is there a possibility that you could take leave, pending OPM processing? When it was my time to leave the agency I worked for, that's what I did. The agency attempted to get me to go back or give up the job, claiming they needed somebody on the job, but the human resources department wouldn't let them put me out, only to hire someone temporarily to replace me, in the event that I did not get FERS approval, I would have the ability to decide if I could go back. FERS was a much simpler process since there was no other position the agency could accomodate me with. As I remember, it was a couple of months for the disability to be granted in my case. Recently, someone that I know applied for FERS through the same method (out on medical leave) and it was also a matter of months in their case to get approved. Of course, now they seem to be running slow to audit, so that individual was paid some of the retro and the monthly amount they would have received after the second year. It took an additional two years before OPM did the complete auditing of the claim for any amounts due. It still turned out to be a much simpler claims process than either SSA, definitely than VA. Good luck with your claims.

I am contemplating applying for FERS disability. I am 90% VA and having trouble coping at work and can't take medicine for depression because of my job. Did you all hire a lawyer to do you FERS paperwork?? I talked to one guy and he wants around $6K. I just don't want a lot of hassle and for it to go smoothly. Do they pay you back pay for the months you are not working and they are deciding on your claim for FERS??

Streewalker,

Is there a possibility that you could take leave, pending OPM processing? When it was my time to leave the agency I worked for, that's what I did. The agency attempted to get me to go back or give up the job, claiming they needed somebody on the job, but the human resources department wouldn't let them put me out, only to hire someone temporarily to replace me, in the event that I did nev ot get FERS approval, I would have the ability to decide if I could go back. FERS was a much simpler process since there was no other position the agency could accomodate me with. As I remember, it was a couple of months for the disability to be granted in my case. Recently, someone that I know applied for FERS through the same method (out on medical leave) and it was also a matter of months in their case to get approved. Of course, now they seem to be running slow to audit, so that individual was paid some of the retro and the monthly amount they would have received after the second year. It took an additional two years before OPM did the complete auditing of the claim for any amounts due. It still turned out to be a much simpler claims process than either SSA, definitely than VA. Good luck with your claims.

I would have to take LWOP. I've got no sick leave left, no annual leave.

I am contemplating applying for FERS disability. I am 90% VA and having trouble coping at work and can't take medicine for depression because of my job. Did you all hire a lawyer to do you FERS paperwork?? I talked to one guy and he wants around $6K. I just don't want a lot of hassle and for it to go smoothly. Do they pay you back pay for the months you are not working and they are deciding on your claim for FERS??

Yes I am contemplating applying for OPM disability retirement. I've not hired a lawyer but have given it some thought.