VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Little Help Please.....

Rate this question

USMC5811

Question

I'm going over the hearing test results of C & P exam and believe I have the % figured out using the tables but was wondering if someone could help me verify the results - already SC'd for hearing loss at 0% and I'm thinking no increase will happen with the following results but those tables are confusing for me.

Results:

Right Ear Avg Hz(B-E) 51.25

Left Ear Avg Hz(B-E) 50

Speech Discrimation Score: 92%

Diagnosis: (for both ears)

Sensorineural hearing loss in frequency range of 500-40000

Sensorineural hearing loss in frequency range of 6000 Hx

Was the Veteran's VA claims file reviewed?

No

Etiology

Cannot provide medical opinion regarding the etiology of the Veteran's hearing loss without resorting to speculation - no medical records or baseline hearing tests.

Configuration of hearing loss is like that usually seen with noise as the etiolgoy.

I'm assuming that because he was already SC'd they did not give the examiner his records as there are about 8 hearing tests in Active Duty Service Health Record? I would also assume that of the 18 yrs (of 22 years) that was spent as 0811- Artillery...that the 198 Howitzer just might cause a little noise as well as the incoming rounds during combat <----------my attempt at being sarcastic.

Thanks in advance for response.

Edited by USMC5811

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I'm thinking no increase will happen with the following results Pretty much hit it on the nose.

I'm going over the hearing test results of C & P exam and believe I have the % figured out using the tables but was wondering if someone could help me verify the results - already SC'd for hearing loss at 0% and I'm thinking no increase will happen with the following results but those tables are confusing for me.

Results:

Right Ear Avg Hz(B-E) 51.25

Left Ear Avg Hz(B-E) 50

Speech Discrimation Score: 92%

Diagnosis: (for both ears)

Sensorineural hearing loss in frequency range of 500-40000

Sensorineural hearing loss in frequency range of 6000 Hx

Was the Veteran's VA claims file reviewed?

No

Etiology

Cannot provide medical opinion regarding the etiology of the Veteran's hearing loss without resorting to speculation - no medical records or baseline hearing tests.

Configuration of hearing loss is like that usually seen with noise as the etiolgoy.

I'm assuming that because he was already SC'd they did not give the examiner his records as there are about 8 hearing tests in Active Duty Service Health Record? I would also assume that of the 18 yrs (of 22 years) that was spent as 0811- Artillery...that the 198 Howitzer just might cause a little noise as well as the incoming rounds during combat <----------my attempt at being sarcastic.

Thanks in advance for response.

USMC 5811,

What about a claim for tinnitus. You did not mention this in your message. I can not imagine anyone who was in artillery not having tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears). This is 10% if claim is approved. I was only in artillery for 4 years and had no problem having a claim approved for tinnitus. I also went to a private audiologist and had the private audiologist prepare an IMO letter which stated my hearing loss and tinnitus were "as likely as not" caused by my exposure to artillery being fired while in the Marine Corps. I enclosed this letter when filing my claim. My VA C&P examiner used the same language about "being speculative" about service connection but the IMO from my private audiologist tipped the scales in my favor. I am service connected for hearing loss and tinnitus, 10% for each.

Georgiapapa...

Thanks GeorgiaPapa.....He is already service connected and rated (the max) of 10% for tinnitus and 0% for hearing loss. I'm guessing that they did not provide the C&P doctor with his previous documented hearing exams because he was already service connected. Odd though that on the C&P results for Tinnitus, the same doctor stated that the tinnitus was due to service - even with no records.