VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Completion Date

Rate this question

LIL-ROB

Question

The completion date that i explain to the RO guy thats on ebenefits.He said is not true because it can take up to 7yrs or longer on appeal. Talk about backlog .....errr

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think that's the master plan Lil-Rob! JK...not really..

If you read Asknod's book, you'll see........yes.......really. The VA has a limited budget and resources, and looks for every reason to deny or delay a claim as long as possible. Although it's not in their mission statement, or on their official logo, the VA's system is literally a fortress with one gate, and only a few may pass out of the millions who file claims. And even those that pass are typically delayed, denied, low-ball rated and discouraged from further claims. From what the book says, even the VSO representatives at the Regional Offices are part of the conspiracy by wheeling and dealing with the raters to get some small percentage in hopes that the Veteran will settle with it, and the VSO can get another "win" on his/her personal evaluation.

If a Veteran gives up, the VA wins. If the Veteran passes away, and the spouse/estate loses interest, the claim deflates and the VA wins again.

This is just my own personal belief. I'd be glad for anybody to provide their input as well. Any thoughts?

Good morning.

Mark

If you read Asknod's book, you'll see........yes.......really. The VA has a limited budget and resources, and looks for every reason to deny or delay a claim as long as possible. Although it's not in their mission statement, or on their official logo, the VA's system is literally a fortress with one gate, and only a few may pass out of the millions who file claims. And even those that pass are typically delayed, denied, low-ball rated and discouraged from further claims. From what the book says, even the VSO representatives at the Regional Offices are part of the conspiracy by wheeling and dealing with the raters to get some small percentage in hopes that the Veteran will settle with it, and the VSO can get another "win" on his/her personal evaluation.

If a Veteran gives up, the VA wins. If the Veteran passes away, and the spouse/estate loses interest, the claim deflates and the VA wins again.

This is just my own personal belief. I'd be glad for anybody to provide their input as well. Any thoughts?

Good morning.

Mark

You know, having been in the MHS (Military Health System) for going on 30 years, I can honestly say that there are people out there that don't care; that think of Soldiers and their claim files or patients...as an interruption to their day instead of the reason they have a job in the first place.

But...I'm having a hard time grasping the concept of someone in upper management, sitting all day formulating thoughts and ways to stall, or low ball claims for our Warriors who are in need. and then making it policy or a business practice.

Also, It would take a cold heart to be removed from the instinctive compassion most US Citizens feel towards our Soldiers/Sailors/Marines/Airman/Coast Guard who are in the system because they need the benefit they're entitled to.

Which is why I would tend to believe it's (It's = Long wait times, denials, etc.) more likely attributed to massive daily volume (Both new and existing), limited experienced and under/improperly trained staff, and poor leadership, who are unable to manage the (Pick one-monumental/voluminous/arduous) task placed before them.

If it WAS true that the overall intent of the VA was to intentionally hurt or stall us with deceitful tactics, then that could potentially be considered conspiracy to commit sabotage or terrorism from an insider threat.

Which brings me back to my original thought: That there definitely ARE those out there that do that...but that the VA as a whole, has good intentions and caring compassionate people there working for the right reasons: Because they care.

No, I agree that the VA's intent, as a governmental body and its legal purpose, is not to delay, discourage or prohibit Veterans from getting access to benefits or healthcare that they deserve. However, I have worked in government public service as well, not counting my military time, and know that there are unofficial limits established, especially when it comes to budgeting, and often first and second line supervisors are forced to cut back or slow things down "unofficially" in an effort to make budgets work.

And if you attach employee and supervisor evaluation ratings to performance quotas, whether it's how many or how few "make it through the gate", then the game really becomes a disadvantage to Veterans, who on paper are only a name and VA claim to number to these people, all of which make a pretty good salary as well. As I understand it, VA raters are evaluated on the number of claims they process, and as human nature will be, the smaller, easier claims get processed first, even if they are in the middle or bottom of a proverbial stack. The complexity of a claim is not factored into the system that the rater is evaluated on, and so more quick claims equal better ratings. (This is what I have read in the past, and have been told by a friend who worked in the VA.)

Next, if there are something like 1.2 million claims rolling in per year (I've heard 1 milion and 1.2, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and the VA is facing a monumental backlog like none other in its historical existance, then perhaps common sense would dictate that additional trained personnel would be hired, along with overtime offered (not the nominal couple of hours a week that I have read about, but serious weekend duty overtime) that could handle the backlog until the flood subsides.

On the healthcare side of the VA, I honestly don't know personally. My only two C&P examinations were conducted by an outside contractor, Veterans Evaluation Service, who I can honestly say were courteous and hopefully gave me favorable comments on my examinations. (One doctor did say that he was going to comment that it was "at least as likely as not" that my condition was connected to my military service. I hope that they do provide good quality care, competitive with the private sector. One day I may get the chance to utilize these services.

I know that while I was in the USAF, the military health and dental care was great at all my of my duty stations, and the healthcare professionals were caring and "human" to patients.

On the VBA side of the house, the jury is still out. I hope that I haven't become too cynical over the past 26 months, but only time will tell.

I also agree with you that for the most part, American citizens support and love our military members and Veterans alike, and most that I have talked to honestly believe that the VA is supposed to be, and IS actually providing those needed services to Veterans. Unfortunately, most civilians who are not Veterans, military members, family members, VSO's, or care givers, don't really know what the VA does, nor exactly what benefits are available and what requirements are in place for eligibility.

Even Federal politicians from both sides of the aisle do not directly address the backlogs, and most when conducting speeches, talk in the abstract sense that America's Veterans should not be delayed in the healthcare they deserve. I agree on this. (Of course I'm biased because I'm in line waiting as well.) However, they do not talk of tremendous backlogs of the rating system itself, or the extreme processes entailed. And to be honest, most non-Veteran people that talk of the backlog, including the media in most cases, do not really know what is included in the backlog, nor understand the process or ways to clear it.

I hope and pray that you're correct, and that maybe with enough funding and Congressional guidance (and some serious policy changes, coupled with a massive backlog flush) that the VA may become a sanctuary for Veterans, rather than a daunting wall to climb.

Just a thought.........

Mark