VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Ethan'sGrandma

Question

Hello to All,

Today I received the award letter...70% rating and TDIU deferred. There is very little information in the letter as to what they need from me. I know that they need the TDIU form from info. gathered from here and other researching, but it was not included, nor mentioned. There are two sections where the IU is noted in the letter. Under "What We Decided," it states: "we have deferred a decision on the following issue because we need additional information or evidence: Individual unemployability"

Under "REASONS FOR DECISION," there are two sections:

"1. Service connection for Acquired psychiatric condition claimed as posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and depression." This section then goes into the evidence, etc, and reason for the decision.

"2. Entitlement to individual unemployability." In that section it states:

"The evidence shows that you have not worked for several years, therefore individual unemployability is being inferred. The examiner did not state that your PTSD caused total occupational or social impairment at this time."

Nowhere in the letter is there anything noting what additional information or evidence they need. I don't see how the examiner could have made a note of total occupational when she did not ask about that. She did ask me when I last worked, but that would not necessarily mean that I would be unemployable if she does not know or consider? After getting home from the exam, I realized that I did not make note that I was awarded SSDI many years ago, but it's in the VA record which she could make note of in her review of the file and I know that VARO already has the SSA records.The social impairment issue they state is not exact and is all over my medical records because I have severe impairment of that, also. So, I'm not in total understanding of what is it they are looking for, or maybe I'm just missing something. I am aware that SSA decisions and VA are separate, but it was for the same issue.

Can someone please help me decipher what I need to do to get this going besides completing and submitting the TDIU form which I am going to do by the end of the week. There is no way that I can remember that far back for employment times, so am going to go to SSA and see if they have my work history available, so I can have at least an estimated timeframe for the completion of the TDIU form. Thank you for any thoughts, advice, or response.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you all for the responses. Now, I have new question that I hope someone can help with. I gathered my info., employment history, etc., and submitted to VA with the TDIU form. This past week I received a VCAA notice that appears to include the TDIU as a "new" claim, along with other pending claims that had been in the system which appear to just now starting to be developed. The TDIU was deferred in their decision which seemed to be awaiting further development, so I'm not understanding why it's being listed as "new." In the past, the VA has separated my claims, so I'm lost as to why they commingled the TDIU with the other claims. Is this protocol for them to handle a deferred decision in this way? I would have thought they would get to their "end product" with the deferred decision. This really concerns me because the decided claim took seven years to get to a rating with evidence that was already of record (claim never went to BVA), so is the prospect another delay in decision just because? Thank you all for any input!!

I applied and I was not inferred for IU, but I'm at 70%, met the criteria, can't work at previous work with my condition and have pending contentions. They combined all my contentions as they did yours and C&P'ed me on the three contensions already awarded that had C&P's within the last 15 months. Then they used one of those C&P's to deny a NOD on a claim for feet problems stemming from that approved condition. Strange thing is the C&P examiner stated the exam was for IU, examined one foot for the IU calim and never looked at the other foot at all. Soooo, one would ask how could the NOD be denied when both feet were not examined?

As you have probably read, an IU calim opens up everything to re-eval so good luck. Don't think I answered your question, but shared my experience so you may better understand this confusing process.

Well after being awarded an increase for PTSD in May, the TDIU was deferred. Now, many months later, and after checking Ebenefits yesterday only to be told that 'no information can be found on you claim', I checked it again just now. The claim has gone from Gathering of Evidence to Preparation for Notification. Of course, don't know if that's good or bad because Ebenefits is revealing nothing. The Benefits Explorer still shows the same, as well as the Benefit Letter. So, I guess we'll just have to wait until the claim shows closed. Last time this happened, we got a letter form the VSO telling us of the increase well before it showed up on Ebenefits.

Don't know how long Prep for Notification takes, but will keep watching and praying my vet gets his well deserved 100% whether by award or granted TDIU.

Now the anxiety begins because a decision has been made, we just don't know what it is. :)

You have a VSO that did that, wow. Who is your VSO, can't get mine to answer a single letter?