Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Helping A Freind

Kirk

Question

OK, I never post here anymore since I finally got my 100% scedular. I have recently met a freind Who return from Iraq a few months ago. In talking with him I (a layman) could tell he had some PTSD amonst some other disabilities. He is very reluctant to disscuss particulars. Afew weeks ago he tald me he got a backpay check from VA with no award letter. I ran into him recently and had the letter. He let me read it. His award was 50% PTSD with a 56 GAF. He had a bunch or denials on physical claims. I think in the physical he told them of the pain he had but not how it effected his ability to do stuff. All were denied because pain is a symptom not a disability. He has bad ankles which roll and give out, a knee which causes pain after schrapnel was removed, a bad lower back both shoulders with ac somthing or other, tintinitus and eats tums like they were his favorite candy.

I think they probably screwed him with a lowball on the PTSD and really put the screws to him on his other claims.I suggested he check out this website and gave him a phone number for my service officer as his never returns calls ect. I've noticed he doesnt seem to be able to follow through on things very well and tends to drink himself to sleep nightly. I'd really like to help this kid But don't know how to get any further. Do you guys have any advise I might offer or comments on him getteing a better award?

Thanks

Kirk

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

He should NOD that decision on the physical disabilities-

looks to me that he got 50% PTSD because he has a PH?

On the GSW that generated the PH- he can claim muscular injury, as well as scarring and also the pain factor. And anything secondary like -is this affecting his knees, feet, back, etc.

I know you are surely correct in that-he did not tell them how these disabilities affect his employability- bt the way is he working- or is he collecting unemployment insurance? he should be eligible for that.

Does he have his complete SMRs?

• HadIt.com Elder

Their is a condition known as "Pain disorder associated with psychological problems and a general medical condition". I am service connected for this condition. Pain almost always points to some other condition be it physical or psychological. The VA just likes to sweep these things under the rug so they don't have to pay. It is always about the money with these people and you should probably look at things through that lense when dealing with the VA. If they tell you NO it is probably because they think it is going to cost them something. I don't know how the VA can draw such a distinct line between the physical and mental. I don't know anybody who has severe chronic pain who is not depressed at times and anxious. Depression itself causes pain but the VA doesn't like to admit that.

• HadIt.com Elder

Kirk:

Thanks for helping another Veteran. The ebst thing you can do in my opinion is to encourage him to ask for the help he needs from the VA. Doing that helping with his claim will help. Proper Mental Health will help him and also should help his claim.