VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo On Claim?

Rate this question

Jeffro

Question

Hello Fellow Veterans, has anyone ever heard of the VA sending a claim out for a IMO? I have several contentions with medical evidence & attached with my doctors medical opinions. Was told my claim will be sent out for a IMO, not by the VA or QTC.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

On 8/17/2012 at 3:48 PM, Jeffro said:

Hello Fellow Veterans, has anyone ever heard of the VA sending a claim out for a IMO? I have several contentions with medical evidence & attached with my doctors medical opinions. Was told my claim will be sent out for a IMO, not by the VA or QTC.

Seems like these opinions they request are to delay decisions.  They ask for opinions which in my case my VA doctor or my primary care physician never expressed.  That sort of eliminates my VA doctor, since supposedly they're not allowed to write anything for you that has anything to do with decision on a claim, which leads me to the question below. 

Would a veteran still need a IMO for a newly added presumptive condition because of AO while stationed in Danang Vietnam in 1970?

1 hour ago, Albsalin73 said:

Seems like these opinions they request are to delay decisions.  They ask for opinions which in my case my VA doctor or my primary care physician never expressed.  That sort of eliminates my VA doctor, since supposedly they're not allowed to write anything for you that has anything to do with decision on a claim, which leads me to the question below. 

Would a veteran still need a IMO for a newly added presumptive condition because of AO while stationed in Danang Vietnam in 1970?

Albsalin73, since the OP(Original post) ended around August 17, 2012, you may want to start your own new thread.

In rare circumstances the VA can request an IMO:

In view of the conflicting VA and private medical opinions, the Board requested an independent medical expert opinion from an orthopedist “

http://www.va.gov/vetapp/wraper_bva.asp?file=/vetapp11/Files3/1127561.txt

Unfortunately the BVA ordered IMO didn't help this veteran.

However in this case the veteran succeeded in a 1151 claim due to the BVA- requested IMO:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp/wraper_bva.asp?file=/vetapp11/Files5/1143084.txt

I feel that any IMO requested by the VA would definitely not be biased (as a C & P exam can often be -in my opinion) .

The orthopedist opinion on the above denied claim raised an issue that the VA opiners didn't consider which helped deny the claim again.

I think it is to a vet's benefit when the VA requests a non VA medical opinion.I wish they would do that more often, as many vets need to spend mega bucks on IMOs themselves

Then again if a VA-ordered IMO goes against the claim, the vet will then need a strong IMO they have obtained and paid or themselves and the problem with IMOs is that the veteran should have full confidence in their case before they spend too much money on one because an IMO can only reveal the medical facts, and contain no speculation, and it could end up not being able to support the claim at all.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use