VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can You Get Rated At More Than 100% Sc And Get More Money Too?

Rate this question

IconicX

Question

I have a friend who insists that you get more money if you go over 100% SC. First I hear you CAN be rated at more than 100% SC disabled. Is this true? But most importantly, isn't the max amount of monetary benefits we can receive is what is listed in the 100% SC schedule? I know 100% SC veterans can receive different amounts based on marital status and dependents. I am not talking about that. What I am talking about is being rated as (for instance) 130% SC and getting more money than a 100% SC vet just because of that, marital status and dependents excluded. He believes he has met some one like this. Any clarity on this will save our friendship. (LOL)

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am a Vietnam combat Vet 100% as of 2015, PTSD 70%, type II Diabetes, etc., etc.  My combined disabilities are 94.5 and paid at 100, plus SMC for sub. home bound.  I was just diagnosed with prostate cancer.  I know VA takes you to 100% temporarily if you have cancer, and then adjusts it after treatment based on permanent adverse conditions.  For now I am not going to get treatment, and go on active surveillance because I am 72 and my cancer is the less aggressive type. I am wondering if this new claim for PC will affect my current rating and future compensation since I am already at 100% plus lowest rate of SMC (no amputations, no blindness, no aid & attendance)?  

• HadIt.com Elder

A Veteran who meets the criteria for Special Monthly compensation is actually paid on the Smc rate scale.

A SMC depends on a large variety of factors 38 usc 114.

You can be IU for a single condition or 100 percen and have another disabilty or combo adding up to 60 percent gives you SMC S or around 300 additional dollars per month,

Look it up it is a difficult read but it is worth reading.

Basser

Technically a veteran cannot be rated more than 100% But a veteran can receive compensaion at a rate higher than 100%..

In my case I am rated 100%, have one K award for loss of use of a foot, and have SMC L 1/2 for Aid and Atttendance... Too save you the trouble of looking up my compensation ....3821.00 a month. ( Includes spouse rate). I know to some it seems like a lot, but for me it is a serious paycut from what I was able to earn as a GS12.

So go back too your friend shake hands and let him know that he was partly correct......(can't be rated higher than 100%, but an get more compensation than the 100% rate)

Technically a veteran cannot be rated more than 100% But a veteran can receive compensaion at a rate higher than 100%..

In my case I am rated 100%, have one K award for loss of use of a foot, and have SMC L 1/2 for Aid and Atttendance... Too save you the trouble of looking up my compensation ....3821.00 a month. ( Includes spouse rate). I know to some it seems like a lot, but for me it is a serious paycut from what I was able to earn as a GS12.

So go back too your friend shake hands and let him know that he was partly correct......(can't be rated higher than 100%, but an get more compensation than the 100% rate)

Thanks for your reply. I believe that a person can get multiple ratings for different conditions that can add up to a total of over 100% all together. Isn't that true? A veteran can be 100% PTSD and have physical disabilities that are SC too and rated at different % and the total being more than 100%. I think that is why a lot of Veterans believe that they are 130 % or 160%. But does that entitles them for more money or SMC? ( Basser please chime in if you like?)

There are veterans who's conditions are so bad, (such as multiple amputations) that they receive more than $6k monthly but as others stated it's called SMC.

pr

Exactly. SMC. They meet the SMC criteria as outlined in 38 USC 1114.