VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Or Depression?

Rate this question

john999

Question

My husband had his compensation exam for an increase for PTSD on Monday and I am worried about it because the psychiatrist while he was inpatient was not helpful. In May my husband attempted suicide and had to be checked in for a couple of days (which turned out to be a horrible experience). The psychiatrist gave him a GAF score of 50 and states that there was a strong suspicion of factitious disorder with ailments of malingering, does appear to be depressed. There are multiple disparities and patients pt’s record, to numerous to list here and that makes me doubt a dx of PTSD. When I went to pick up his c&p exam, the examiner stated:

Current diagnosis:

Diagnosis 1: depressive disorder , not otherwise specific; Axis 1

Diagnosis 2: deferred: potential clustered btraits vs. personality disorder. Axis 2

Axis 3- medical diagnosus (to include tbi)

Axis 4- chronic pain

Axis 5- Gaf-45

Occupational and social impairments with deficiencies in most areas, such as; work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and or mood.

Symptoms for Va rating purposes:

Depressed mood, impairment of short and long term memory, disturbance of motivation and mood, difficult in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships, suicide ideation, intermittent inability to perform ADL’s including maintaining a minimum personal hygiene.

Other symptoms;

Labile mood/affected dysregulation that appears may be chacterological in nature. Veteran currently depends on his wife for daily household responsibilities including finances.

After a thurough review of the c-files, CPRS record, previous c and p exams, and response and observation form the current clinic interview it does not appear that the veteran mental health issues are reflective of PTSD. Other VA providers have also noted the questioning the PTSD diagnosis based on his presentation and behavior. The single PTSD system report on this date reports of nightmares. His report of reactions to the described harassment seem more reflective of depressive symptoms as opposed to PTSD. Depressed mood and affect dysregulation were predominant and his current presentation in report are symptoms of Axis 2 (potential clustered btraits vs. personality disorder) condition is suspected but its deferred at this point cannot be conclusively formulated in this single visit without more speculation of note.

Veteran presents himself in a way that would indicate he would be unable to obtain or sustain gainful employment at this time. He is currently in the caregiver program which facilitates veterans being dependent on his wife for many aspects of activities of daily living. It seems unlikely that the veteran would demonstrate an improved level of functioning in a place of employment.

My questions are; A) since they stated that he does not have PTSD but depression, will he lose his compensation? Will we have to start all over again and wait another year? B) Will the psychiatrists subjective statements while my husband was in treatment hurt my husband’s chances of obtaining an increase or unemployability? He saw numerous diagnosis (none of which I diagnosed him with) and stated that my husband was lying and he was doing this for almost 5 years for financial reasons (what financial reasons, we were better off before he was depressed/PTSD). C) I know that it is a long shot, but what do you all think his chances are. I have been on here enough to know that majority of you know what you are talking about.

Thank you all in advance.

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I will look into SSDI, my husband has not worked since Dec 08 ( when he left the military). I think some of the regulations are more of a way to have veterans give up than to help them. I am hoping that since he had a stressor when they diagnosed him with PTSD and gave him 50% for it, that they will use the same stressor as a "injury" or reason for his depression. They could even use his stay in a mental institution while he was in service as evidence. Only time will tell but if he does get denied we will appeal.

Thank you all for the responses

I will look into SSDI, my husband has not worked since Dec 08 ( when he left the military). I think some of the regulations are more of a way to have veterans give up than to help them. I am hoping that since he had a stressor when they diagnosed him with PTSD and gave him 50% for it, that they will use the same stressor as a "injury" or reason for his depression. They could even use his stay in a mental institution while he was in service as evidence. Only time will tell but if he does get denied we will appeal.

Thank you all for the responses

vistagirl,

Please update your profile to show current level of VA SC.

Thanks.