• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Advertise Here contact us

Hearing And Tinnitus

Question

This post is for my oldest brother.By the way he is 70 yo. anyway the VA has given him hearing aids, a wheel chair, a new ramp and a power chair. But he is not SC. The VA sent him to a GOVT. HEARING CONTRACTOR for a hearing test. The test was the 8 of Aug.he was told he had a hearing bad loss. So he got a letter Wed and he was denied, again. He went to get a copy of her report, she told him that she wasn't allow to give out that infromation. QUESTION here is she right? My brother never served in combat he was a helicopter machanic. so any help or advice here would be greatly .

thanks

his little brother

Hollis

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was denied for years even though my MOS Generator repair maintenance on a military flight line of choppers. I also served combat for a while before my MOS position opened up. Many of US Vietnam vets did many different jobs while in the nam. I lot of which are not in our records.

Lucky I had some pictures taken and was able to hook up with some old buds after.

Run this past your brother and see if it jogs his memory a little. I know it has been a long time but because I suffer from PTSD I dream and think about it often seems like yesterday!

I was finally awarded 70% hearing loss and 10% tinnitus back to 2008.

I also was denied several times since 1989. I finally went to an ENT doctor who wrote up a letter stating that my hearing loss and tinnitus were due to military jobs that I did during my enlistment. I also provided the VA with a list of jobs I did since I got out in 1971. None of the jobs were of the type that had any hazardous noise exposure. Plus I also had my wife write a buddy letter stating that the jobs I had listed were jobs that I had worked on after I got out of the military. I also got in touch with some of my military buddies and they also wrote buddy letters for me. They wrote about the hazardous noise conditions we worked in and the lack of hearing conservation programs at the time. The Va wrote in one of the denial letters that I had not complained about hearing loss or tinnitus during my enlistment. While that was true that I did not complain at the time about hearing loss or tinnitus, I provided the VA with info I had obtained. That info stated that in some cases hearing loss and tinnitus could happen immediately after exposure, but in many cases it may take decades before hearing loss or tinnitus becomes apparent. There are many hazardous exposures that military service people have been exposed to. The medical conditions associated with those exposures might take years or decades to appear, but the VA will say you did not complain about any problems associated with those exposures. There is info on the internet and on the VA web site that you can use in the claim. I used the VA's own info on hearing loss and tinnitus as a basis as to how long it might take hearing loss and tinnitus to become apparent. The VA does the same thing about asbestos exposure. It turn me down on a claim having to do with asbestos exposure because I did not have any symptoms and that I did not complain in the 1960's and 1970's about the asbestos exposure. In other words they put the monkey on my back and I countered with how was I supposed to know about the dangers of asbestos exposure back then when even the Navy made no effort to protect me and countless other sailors. I looked up info on the VA web site and other web sites that dealt with asbestos exposures. Almost all of them stated that medical problems associated with asbestos exposure could take years or decades before manifesting themselves. I sent copies of the info I found with the VA claim. I also got buddy letters stating that we were exposed to asbestos and the lack of asbestos exposure protection and lack of information on the hazards of asbestos exposure.

As I have stated before the VA will deny a claim stating that the veteran did complain at the time about the disability. We hear that time and time again. There are ways to overcome it, but it takes time and effort.

68mustang

I have VA doctors who admit that my husband's hearing loss is because of a service connection, and they still denied him.

I have records that state that his hearing was near perfect when he enlisted in 67, and within a couple of years, he started having problems with his ears. 58 times he visited doctors, who said he had profound hearing loss, yet they keep denying him.

They give him tinnitus, they don't give him hearing loss.

They hope that people are asleep, and don't realize that tinnitus and hearing loss are two totally different things. I've been researching this for the last year for my husband, and the more research I do, the angrier I get.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Wise Guy
      I submitted my supplemental claim 3 days ago for the following diagnosis with evidence:
      - Flat Feet (Primary) - Bilateral Plantar Fasciitis (Secondary) - Bilateral Pronation to mid and rear foot (Secondary)
      - Intra-articular Hip Pain (Primary) - Femoroacetabular Impingement (Secondary) - Right Adductor Groin Pain (Tertiary) - Athletic Pubalgia (Tertiary) - Osteitis Pubis (Tertiary)
      - Right Knee Pain  
      - Low Back Pain
      - Left Tennis Elbow - Bilateral Tinnitus  
      The VA updated va.gov 2 days ago with these pending diagnosis:

- Impairment of femur
      - Flatfoot
      - Limitation of leg motion (flexion)
      - Lumbosacral or cervical strain
      - Limitation of forearm motion (flexion)
      - Tinnitus

Through my own insurance, for all of the injuries listed in the first group of injuries above, I got doctors to diagnose me with them and they added, "More than 51% probable that the injuries occurred during military service" since the same injuries got denied in the past. I used those evidences to file my supplemental claim. I called the VA today to request for them to change what they put back to how I had it. The missing items like "Pronation", I had them annotate where to find the diagnosis on the doctors notes so that they can add it. I think they overlooked it. They also left out my right adductor pain. For the hip injury, it's not just, "Impairment of femur" as they put it. Why did they do this? Are they trying to gyp me? Why didn't they annotate the secondaries and the tertiaries like I annotated it? Instead of "Right Knee Pain" they put "Limitation of leg motion (flexion)". For "Low Back Pain" they put "Lumbosacral of Cervical Strain." For "Left Tennis Elbow" they put "Limitation of forearm motion (flexion)". Are they trying to gyp me or did I make the mistake of calling them asking them to change it back to how I had it?

• By DonaldANG
      I originally filed a claim for bilateral hearing loss for both my left and right ear, but 2 years ago was only awarded Service Connection for my Left Ear, but only at 0%. The VA said that it was at 0% due to my Right Ear being at normal hearing at the time of my hearing test. But I just now filed a claim for an increase in my Left Ear hearing loss. I went for another C&P hearing exam. I told the Hearing Doctor that now my Right Ear was getting bad too and could she test me for hearing loss in my right ear this time. When the test was all over she told me that I did have some Right Ear hearing loss this time, but it was no where near as bad as my Left Ear. So I left there thinking I would be awarded something for my Right Ear now that the Hearing Test showed Right Ear hearing loss. But on Ebenefits it still shows Not Service Connected. How can you have your left ear service connected for hearing loss and not your right ear, if you were exposed to an explosion? It doesn't make any sense. That was the whole reason they service connected my Left Ear to begin with. Now that the hearing exam shows hearing loss in my Right Ear, the VA gives the excuse that my Right Ear hearing loss isn't Service Connected, because whenever they originally tested my Ears 2 years ago for my original claim the hearing exam didn't show any Right Ear hearing loss. But everyone knows that Hearing Loss can occur many years after the fact. My Dad served in Vietnam and was exposed to explosions on a daily basis, but he didn't show any immediate signs of hearing loss for decades. It wasn't until the last few years that we've noticed his hearing getting worse, and so now he filed a VA claim and was awarded for Hearing Loss and that was from back in 1969. So Hearing Loss doesn't have to happen overnight. Just because I didn't have it 2 years ago, but I now do, doesn't mean it isn't being caused from the same explosions from whenever I was in the service and what caused my Left Ear hearing loss. Has anyone else been through anything like this before? Any suggestions as to what I might be able to do to help? Thanks.
    • By ROMAD
      I submitted a claim for Sinusitis, OSA,, and Tinnitus. My claim was denied for all 3. 
      The tinnitus they claim was neither occurred in nor was caused by service. My job on active duty exposed me to gun fire, explosions, tanks, and tracked vehicles. I submitted the Duty Noise Exposure Spreadsheet that displayed my AFSC was rated as highly likely to be exposed to loud noise. In the first Exam they claimed I said my hearing loss was from jets flying overhead. Never said that, so they scheduled a second exam. This one they acknowledged the correct job but I was still denied. The evidence listed on the second decision dd not include the MOS Noise exposure chart I included on the first claim. I never went to sick call for ringing ears because that is just silly (had I known then) and was not something you did. I have had quiet office jobs since separating from The Air Force. What am I missing?
      For the OSA claim, I submitted Lay statements from my current wife and my ex-wife as well as explained to the doctor my symptoms and  that when I was on Active Duty i had no idea sleep apnea was a thing. I assumed I just snored and was tired because I was working hard. I had a sleep study this past year and was deemed to have severe OSA.  In my claim I listed that I believed my osa was related to my cluster headache disability. They responded Cluster headaches do not cause OSA even if there are many people with cluster headaches and also OSA.  I experienced a stuffy nose during my headaches  on the left side. This was completely different from the closing of my airway when I would sleep. It was just worst if both occurred at the same time. They claimed I have other risk factors such as being male, obesity, and advancing age. Something I did not include in my claim was the fact that I was on the Fat Boy program at one point on Active Duty and my SMR made a reference to obesity. Would this help support my claim. Also in the second decision they said I was a 73 year old male and I am no where near 73 so they probably mixed my records with someone else. What can I do about this?
      And Sinusitis, I have a couple diagnosis in my SMR's specifically listing sinusitis. I have had sinus issues since I was on Active Duty. I use a Netti Pot and have been diagnosed post active duty with sinusitis. The DBQ from the QTC Medical  Doc claims I have rebound sinusitis because I mentioned using Afrin. I have always been aware of the danger of over use and in my VA records I discussed this concern whenever the VA would prescribe a nasal spray. What am I missing and how can I get this  corrected. The errors on the 2 decisions make it seem as if they are not very organized and I have to suffer from their disorganization. Are they supposed to review all of the evidence from the initial claim when you submit a supplemental, or should I have resubmitted all  the documents from the initial claim. Are the documents that contain research that supports your claim supposed to be on the evidence list as well? They were not on there and if they did not give those documents equal consideration what is my recourse. Any assistance would be appreciated Thanks for listening.

• By RangerWife
      My husband was just denied SC for hearing loss and tinnitus. I would have expected 0% hearing loss for left ear and 10% tinnitus. I attached the C&P resultsAudiology DBQ.docx - it seems to me like the audiologist contradicts herself in her rationale - or maybe I am just confused? But overall it does seem to say he has tinnitus and its linked to service? Not sure what to think of this. Any insight would be appreciated!
      Thank you!

• By Al329
      Hi,
      Asking any vet in the Richmond, Va area for doctor recommendations.
      I was diagnosed by my audiologist with hearing loss and tinnitus. I'm in the process of gathering all my paperwork to file a claim. Problem is this doc doesn't want to write up a letter for me.

Sorry if it sounds excessive...this would be my first VA claim I have filed. I figured if I submit as much as possible...less likely to get denied?

So any help would be appreciated!
      Tks
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 7 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
    • Help HadIt.com stay online buy a subscription
      If you can afford it and want to help hadit.com consider buying a subscription this gives you as free viewing of the site and allows me to budget in subscription payments.

You can try it for 1 month for $5 or get a monthly subscription or a yearly subscription.

Subscribe here https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/
      • 6 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines