VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ortho And Ptsd Tommorw

Rate this question

nlualum82

Question

I've got ortho C & P for my left knee followed quickly by the one for PTSD. I am filling out forms tonight, all advice to this site and my personal e-mail appreciated, my first trip for either.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Got through these yesterday and haven't a clue how they'll turn out - but then I am the worlds foremost anxiety ridden pessimist.

The ortho doc was an older fellow who was very easy-going and comforting. Seemed to know what he was doing. I mentioned the possibility of arthritis and he chuckled once and said something like "no doubt". I asked him about it later and he seemed to feel it was a foregone conclusion due to my being an old geezer of 47.

They took a couple of x-rays and everyone was true to the guidelines on the exam room wall, spelling out what NOT to speak to a C & P claimant about.

I spent a few hours at the zoo to help my wife look after my 2.5 year-old granddaughter and her friend - didn't want to go, but just took it as a mission of mercy for her and the kids. I hobbled through the next night of work and the C & P.

I believe my Psych exam was handled by a psychologist. We ran over time because my short answers are other peoples epics. She left me worried by suggesting at the end that I might have Asperger's syndrome, I wonder if she's turning that in as a formal diagnosis and how long it will take me to get throught that!

I now have ROI requests in for 4 different C & P's from the 15th to the 26th and haven't gotten the first one yet. My HealtheVet has a note that the examiner has placed my audiogram on Vista apps (whatever that is) and I have no idea how to access it - probably not supposed to!

Here's one for ya! She asked me what I would do if I found myself stranded in the Denver airport (we were in Vancouver, Wa.) with only a dollar bill.

I didn't have a clue - said "probably buy a Coke".

I'd give somebodys right arm for a clue to what's cooking. I wouldn't know who might have any info this early, especially anyone who'd be willing to share it with me!

She did say I was putting myself at a disadvantage by not looking at people, given my hearing disability. I agree. In retrospect, I might should have asked her to stand up then raised my head and looked her in the eye. Of the last two people I've done so, one ran off and the other was next to wetting himself, became cautious and carefully worded a soft departure statement reminiscent of someone trying to excuse themselves and back away from an armed mugger. I was just seeing if I recognized the person who spoke to me in both cases.

I'm not that ugly or big, but "contact sports" have left a shelf of calcium over my eyes like a neanderthal and eyebrows that are naturally "hawkish". It's been noted that if I looked a person in the eye and told them I was going to burn their house down tonight, they'd grab a few things and leave town with no forwarding address. Actually when I was young people told me I looked like Burt Reynolds - if anyone made such a comparison now they probably add "on crack".

but I digress...

aluminum- what forms did you fill out?

The blank C & Ps I might have attached to a post for you are for the doc to fill out- vets use them just as guidelines as to what to expect at the C & P.

I think you mean the PTSD forms -as to the stressors?

Berta

I ended up not filling out much and it will probably provide a justication for a delay. I have a blank PTSD questionnaire - I actually don't recall if I took one for stressor #1, but the examiner did want my copies of the court martial documentation and was surprised that the complete set of copies (it's big) were specifically for her to keep. She kept another set of copies and for the life of me I can't remember what they were at the moment, but do know I still have my copies as what I presented her were only copies I made for her from my records.

I felt like the JAG copies of my deposition and the trial were probably more valid and thorough than the questionnaire.

I decided not to pursue stressors 2 and 3.

Stressor #2 was the jeep rollover where I felt I was going to die, but survived with a knee injury being the major thing(I thought), because the only records say simply MVA with no elaboration.

I will wait and see if they rule satisfactorily on #1 first because I would be an incredibly lucky man to ever locate the jeep driver or any witness and get a buddy letter and I felt that they could hold a decision until they had one.

Stressor #3 was an article 15 for something I never said but was prosecuted just because an E-5 didn't like me. They threatened a nice kid into writing a statement and signing it, narrating it to him. If I could find him, I'm sure he would corroborate, but all I remember was his name was Fazi (adopted, his original name was actually Fonzo) and that he was from Vermont. It would be a great victory to get him on the record.

I didn't include this because the lack of proof could also hold up my claim, even cast doubt on my character.

"Aluminum"? nlualum82 is the best I could do when I originally set up my first e-mail account, nlu82 was taken. I am a Northeast Louisiana University alumni, class of '82. I have tried to keep my college education visible to my kids as a good goal for them.

I expressed to the examiner that it had been much more difficult to deal with these things since they now had to be aired and lived with more consciously on a daily basis. The best I can hope for sometimes is that they will rule fairly on the first shot and I can not revisit them anymore than I am forced to already. It has been "interesting" to note how much these things, especially the hostage situation, has come to be the reason for my very thought processes, and affects everything about my life today.

I have seen that it is probably the reason I am pre-occupied with crime, why I left my home in Louisiana for Oregon, just as surely as my hearing is the major factor in leaving teaching for the post office.

Gary

aluminum- what forms did you fill out?

The blank C & Ps I might have attached to a post for you are for the doc to fill out- vets use them just as guidelines as to what to expect at the C & P.

I think you mean the PTSD forms -as to the stressors?

Berta

• HadIt.com Elder
On left knee C&P the key thing is your ROM (Range of Motion) or flexion as they call it. Pain wasn't used as a factor on my left knee OA C&P exam.

Then you should pursue a NOD (Notice of Disagreement) of "Inadequate Exam". There is a place on the examination where pain is supposed to be addressed. If no entry was made there, then the examination was "inadequate" and the RO should return it to the VAMC for completion.

If they make a determination based upon an "inadequate" examination, then you should NOD it on that basis.

Got through these yesterday and haven't a clue how they'll turn out - but then I am the worlds foremost anxiety ridden pessimist.

The ortho doc was an older fellow who was very easy-going and comforting. Seemed to know what he was doing. I mentioned the possibility of arthritis and he chuckled once and said something like "no doubt". I asked him about it later and he seemed to feel it was a foregone conclusion due to my being an old geezer of 47.

They took a couple of x-rays and everyone was true to the guidelines on the exam room wall, spelling out what NOT to speak to a C & P claimant about.

I spent a few hours at the zoo to help my wife look after my 2.5 year-old granddaughter and her friend - didn't want to go, but just took it as a mission of mercy for her and the kids. I hobbled through the next night of work and the C & P.

I believe my Psych exam was handled by a psychologist. We ran over time because my short answers are other peoples epics. She left me worried by suggesting at the end that I might have Asperger's syndrome, I wonder if she's turning that in as a formal diagnosis and how long it will take me to get throught that!

I now have ROI requests in for 4 different C & P's from the 15th to the 26th and haven't gotten the first one yet. My HealtheVet has a note that the examiner has placed my audiogram on Vista apps (whatever that is) and I have no idea how to access it - probably not supposed to!

Here's one for ya! She asked me what I would do if I found myself stranded in the Denver airport (we were in Vancouver, Wa.) with only a dollar bill.

I didn't have a clue - said "probably buy a Coke".

I'd give somebodys right arm for a clue to what's cooking. I wouldn't know who might have any info this early, especially anyone who'd be willing to share it with me!

She did say I was putting myself at a disadvantage by not looking at people, given my hearing disability. I agree. In retrospect, I might should have asked her to stand up then raised my head and looked her in the eye. Of the last two people I've done so, one ran off and the other was next to wetting himself, became cautious and carefully worded a soft departure statement reminiscent of someone trying to excuse themselves and back away from an armed mugger. I was just seeing if I recognized the person who spoke to me in both cases.

I'm not that ugly or big, but "contact sports" have left a shelf of calcium over my eyes like a neanderthal and eyebrows that are naturally "hawkish". It's been noted that if I looked a person in the eye and told them I was going to burn their house down tonight, they'd grab a few things and leave town with no forwarding address. Actually when I was young people told me I looked like Burt Reynolds - if anyone made such a comparison now they probably add "on crack".

but I digress...

Man I wish I was 47 try 58 for old.

Jim