VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Given Percocet In Er - Can I Fill It?

Rate this topic

I am currently on pain meds and have a pain contract with my doctor at the VA. Last night I went to the local Emergency Room (VA is an hour and a half drive away and my car is broken). I was diagnosed with pancreatitis and while there given dilaudid IV and then sent home with 2 percocet and a prescription for 30 oxycodone 5mg. I am currently on a regimen of Morphine Sulfate 15mg x 2 daily and vicodin 5mg for break through pain. Not sure whether I am "allowed" to fill this prescription, I called the Dr at the VA first thing this morning. Unfortunately, she is off today. The nurse, who has only been working there for six weeks) could only say, "I don't know. You'll have to wait until tomorrow to talk to the doctor". No help at all. Reading the pain mgt contract, it says that I am allowed to take narcotics prescribed in an emergency situation. May I fill it? Will there be repercussions? I am not particularly enamored of layng her in horrible pain waiting for my Dr to show up tomorrow, however, I don't want to get in trouble and have my meds yanked out from under me for violating the contract. I would appreciate all opinions or, especially, experience with this problem. Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founder

I don't know if any of us can give you an answer on that. Can you talk to someone of authority at the pain management clinic? If not you may have to go to the va emergency room, I'm just not sure on this.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would think you're MS and Vicodin would suffice in easing the pain. They gave me IV dilaudid, too, and sent me home w/the oxycodone. I didn't even use it, as the pain had subsided by then. Oxycodone is a mild analgesic compared to MS and Vicodin. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

If you fill the oxycodone script from a source outside the VA and they find out or you tell them they may see this as violating your contract. I don't think you want to mix oxy, hydrocodone and MS. I would just take a little more hydrocodone. You are right to talk to your doctor.

• HadIt.com Elder

the 20 Oxy will be gone in what 4-6 days? these other meds are daily every day every month as long as you follow the contract is the extra feel good for a few days worth putting at risk all of the other days of less pain that you are risking?

yes the ER doc wrote it but he was not aware of your VA contract you are grown and you can decide to fill the script but you are also then in the position nof being cut off by the VA and you know they will do it or you would not be here asking so you know the right answer don't fill it get thru the next few days and hopefully your pain levels will soon drop back to your normal lower pain filled days that your regular meds maintain function but never make you pain free

lets be honest those of us with chronic pain NEVER have pain free days anymore I can't remember a pain free day since 2002 I have had really bad days and then I have had some days where I didn't feel like hurting anyone (which are few and far between)

you can't really control what a doc writes while you are in the ER but you do know what's in your VA pain contract.

• 2 weeks later...

Testvet,

I can't hardly remember anything much these days because of pain. I go today for an pain management appointment. I really do not know what to expect but I hope they can help me or give me something for the pain I have been going through for 2 1/2 years now. Tramadol is the hardest stuff I take but the chronic issue of the pain is now causing memory issues with me, short term memory issues.