VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I Change Condition? And Other Questions

Rate this question

Fred Bear

Question

I am currently rated for a lumbar strain and have a increase review in the works. How do I get the VA to change this to 5243 intervertebral disc syndrom? A strain it is not. I have documented MRI's showing 4 bulging discs and now I am having pain in my shin that gives me what I found as "foot drop"

Also, how do I get my VA DR to give me bed rest? ususaly when I have a "flare up" I call in sick to work and call for an appointment at the VA clinic. The appointment is usually weeks past my call. So what ends up happening is I apply my own bed rest and then just tell the DR about what happened because it is well beyond my flare up.

I'm sure I have incapacitating episodes of 4 - 6 weeks per year and the Dr did indicate that on my FMLA paperwork. Is that sufficient for "bed rest"?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would get a private doctor who will work with you on the bedrest. If I had to wait on the VA for certain conditions I would have lost my mind by now.

whats an IMO?

I really dont want to use a civilian DR because all of my service conected care has been with the VA. I dont want to look like I am Dr shopping. But it is extreamly difficult to get in to see the VA dr when a flare up occours.

Fred,

Here is what happens on a strain to the spine. The muscles tear away from the joints and then caused the vertebrae to be able to move around more then before. This is what caused the IVDS becuase the discs eventually rip away from the bone. I am a genuine example of this in my lumbar and cervical spine.

You will need an independent medical examiner to write up a "IMO" also called Independent Medical Opinion. They are not cheap and cost $$$ but in the end they are worth it. I am not advertising but I will say that Dr. Craigh Bash did mine and I finally have a connection to the question, WHY. He connected the dots and the VA will not do this for you. Yes he is very expensive but in the long run it will pay off for you.

Please understand the VA will not do this for you, so you will need to see a civilian doctor to have this IMO written. Since it is the spine I have to recommend Dr. Craig Bash, JMHO....Again the VA will not connect the dots for you, they will do the opposite and just make you suffer more. After I sent in his IMO to the RO it sure seems now that the medical side is treating me more seriously than ever before....

Hope this helps...

Edited by rpowell01

I am currently rated for a lumbar strain and have a increase review in the works. How do I get the VA to change this to 5243 intervertebral disc syndrom? A strain it is not. I have documented MRI's showing 4 bulging discs and now I am having pain in my shin that gives me what I found as "foot drop"

Also, how do I get my VA DR to give me bed rest? ususaly when I have a "flare up" I call in sick to work and call for an appointment at the VA clinic. The appointment is usually weeks past my call. So what ends up happening is I apply my own bed rest and then just tell the DR about what happened because it is well beyond my flare up.

I'm sure I have incapacitating episodes of 4 - 6 weeks per year and the Dr did indicate that on my FMLA paperwork. Is that sufficient for "bed rest"?

I suggest every time the above happens you make a visit to your VAMC - ER,

after the regular mod clinics are closed.

jmho

Fred Bear If it is possible I would ask you doctor if he could write you a brief letter detailing the effects etc. Mine did of course not all doctors are alike but it is helpful and explain to your doctor you need it to help clear up any confusion the VA claims folks might have as well as if you are anywhere else i.e. on an emergency you have something to give another doctor detailing everything as to not allow them to have to reinvent (i.e. go through the discovery process already done on your condition). I did this with mine as I wrote above and submitted it as additional evidence hope this helps

Thank you for your service