VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Know About Star Review

Rate this question

PainterBK

Question

I got an email from the VA stating my claim was being reviewed by STAR.

The email was dated 8/30 & said they were reviewing my claim & there

was no time table on how long it would take, but when they were done

my claim file would be returned to Boston RO. I received my initial award

of 70% on what they considered a reopened claim from 1977 on

May 25, 2012. Why would they be reviewing my claim now. I was

just getting comfortable. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Thank You,

Bob K

Edited by PainterBK

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

STAR ( Systematic Technical Accuracy Review (STAR) program)is explained and talked about here:

http://www.va.gov/OI...100324-Finn.pdf

My opinion from what I have been able to read (which is mostly OIG reports) is that the OIG is probably doing a review of your RO. Once again from what I read they request claims based on various contentions and require the RO to submit a certain amount of claims for each contention. I think in theory it appears to be like the IRS system where certain claims are randomly pulled and then reviewed for accuracy. Luck of the draw.......In theory the STAR Program is suppose to be a review of how accurate claim processing is at each RO percentage wise.

Edited by USMC5811

STAR ( Systematic Technical Accuracy Review (STAR) program)is explained and talked about here:

http://www.va.gov/OI...100324-Finn.pdf

My opinion from what I have been able to read (which is mostly OIG reports) is that the OIG is probably doing a review of your RO. Once again from what I read they request claims based on various contentions and require the RO to submit a certain amount of claims for each contention. I think in theory it appears to be like the IRS system where certain claims are randomly pulled and then reviewed for accuracy. Luck of the draw.......In theory the STAR Program is suppose to be a review of how accurate claim processing is at each RO percentage wise.

Thanks for the link. It was interesting, but somewhat troublesome. It sounds like STAR randomly picks claims for reviews looking for errors. If I read

correctly they point out any errors to the RO who sometime acts on them & sometime ignores them with no follow up from STAR. Good system? So I guess

I may never hear anything about this again. I'm thinking I won't be getting a statement from STARs review of my claim. Thanks for your time USMC.

I think the STAR program would be a good program...kinda like ebenefits......only problem is as you pointed out is it has been proven that most RO's are ignoring the recommendations they are given - if the RO's would implement the recommendations by STAR as well as the OIG then veterans would not be spending years in the appeal process along with years of frustration. I definitely think a system of checks and balances are needed, but when the OIG is continuously telling RO's each time they are audited what they need to fix in their system to bring their accuracy percentages up (thus helping vets in the long run) and there are obviously no repercussions when they do not fix the problems...it continues...as it has been and us vets pay the price.